User Portlet User Portlet

Philip Maymin
Philip Maymin
Fairfield University
BLOG: Not indicated
INTERESTS IN JOBS & NETWORKING: Not indicated
ABOUT ME:

I’m a professor of analytics and the director of the Master of Science in Business Analytics program at the Fairfield University Dolan School of Business, in Connecticut. I am also the founding managing editor of Algorithmic Finance and the co-founder and co-editor-in-chief of the Journal of Sports Analytics. I'm also the COO/CTO for Swipe.bet, which runs on Wolfram Language, an Insight Partner with Essentia Analytics, an advisor to Athletes Unlimited, and an affiliate of the Ellen Langer Mindfulness Institute.

In the past, I’ve been an analytics consultant with several NBA teams, a hedge fund portfolio manager, a policy scholar for a free market think tank, a Justice of the Peace, a Congressional candidate, a sportswriter, and an award-winning journalist and columnist.

I have a Ph.D. is in Finance from the University of Chicago under Richard Thaler (2018 Nobel laureate), a Master's in Applied Mathematics from Harvard University, and a Bachelor's in Computer Science from Harvard University. I also happen to have a J.D. and am an attorney-at-law admitted to practice in California.

I won a Wolfram Innovator Award in 2015. I also won the inaugural Wolfram Live Coding Challenge in 2016 and second place in 2018, and I won the Wolfram One-Liner Competition in 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019. (I love one-liners.) In other awards, I was a finalist for the 2010 Bastiat Prize for Online Journalism, and I was named one of the Top 50 Data and Analytics Professionals in the US and Canada by Corinium in 2018. I’m also the only person to have won both the Grand Prize for Best Research Paper (2018) and the Hackathon (2020) at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. (You’ll never guess what language I used during the hackathon!).

I was a student at the 2007 Wolfram Summer School and an instructor at the 2019 Wolfram High School Summer Camp and the 2020 Wolfram Summer School and I've been a presenter at the Wolfram Technology Conference in 2016, 2018, and 2019.