Message Boards Message Boards

Avoid error when connecting to an Access Database?

Posted 7 years ago

I have successfully connected to the example databases provided with Mathematica I am now trying to connect to a Microsoft Access database that I have created I have used the code

Needs["DatabaseLink`"]

conn = OpenSQLConnection[]

This leads me to the wizard I chose new. I specified a name "iSolids". I left the default of User Level ( but I have also tried system level). I selected Microsoft Access (ODBC). I browsed to my database. I left the username and password blank as I had not set one up. I clicked test and got Error: JDBC::error . If I ignore that, and carry on it just fails to connect to the database. Any ideas why this is happening????

Thanks

Graham

POSTED BY: graham tranfield
2 Replies

I have now solved this with the help of the support people. I had not realised that I needed to install the Microsoft access database engine. After I did that everything went fine

Graham

I see that in the documentation on importing data that Mathematica recognises the following formats

Reference Database Formats

"MDB" — Microsoft Access database file (.mdb)

"DBF" — dBase database file (.dbf)

"DIF" — VisiCalc data interchange format (.dif)

"XLSX" — Excel 2007 format (.xlsx)

"XLS" — Excel spreadsheet (.xls)

Does that mean that it cannot recognise the .accdb format in the OpenSQL Connection command.... Or is this something completely different?

Graham

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract