Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Apply UnitConvert to nested Entity data?

Posted 1 year ago
|
2 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
|

I've got a list of planet names, images, and distances from Wolfram Alpha. I want to change the distances from au to light minutes.

EntityValue[EntityClass["Planet", All], {"Name", "Image", "DistanceFromEarth"}]

How can i use UnitConvert on the values I get from "DistanceFromEarth? I've tried the following:

EntityValue[
 EntityClass["Planet", All], {"Name", "Image", 
  UnitConvert["DistanceFromEarth", "light minutes"]}]

get and error message: Quantity: Unable to interpret unit specification DistanceFromEarth I guess that means it is trying to apply UnitConvert before it has loaded the value "Distance from Earth"

The following works in that it gives me a list of the distances in light minutes:

EntityValue[EntityClass["Planet", All], "DistanceFromEarth"]

{Quantity[11.3015, "LightMinutes"], Quantity[3.46009, "LightMinutes"], Quantity[0., "LightMinutes"], Quantity[16.3815, "LightMinutes"], Quantity[39.8955, "LightMinutes"], Quantity[86.8167, "LightMinutes"], Quantity[170.83, "LightMinutes"], Quantity[257.162, "LightMinutes"]}

However i don't see how to apply the UnitConvert function inside of the above so I get a nice list of the planet name, image, and distance in light units. I looked at using Apply to the above, but I don't see how to add the convert options to the function and choose only the 3rd element of each row to apply it too.

Convert [a,"light minutes"] (where a is the list I obtain above, but limit it to the 3rd element of each row

Apply[Convert, a < - what do I do here to add the function, restrict to 3rd element in each row, and input the conversion units "light minutes"? Must be barking up the wrong tree here.

2 Replies

There are numerous ways to post-process. After you got your data in au as

data=EntityValue[EntityClass["Planet",All],{"Name","Image","DistanceFromEarth"}];

You can use any of these methods and there probably many more:

data/.x_Quantity->UnitConvert[x,"LightMinutes"]

MapAt[UnitConvert[#,"LightMinutes"]&,#,3]&/@data

Transpose[MapAt[UnitConvert[#,"LightMinutes"]&,Transpose[data],3]]

Cases[data,{a_,b_,c_}:>{a,b,UnitConvert[c,"LightMinutes"]}]

in addition to Vitaliy's long list of great options you can also do it with one function:

MapAt[UnitConvert[#, "light minutes"] &, planets, {All, 3}]

which says to map the UnitConvert over all the planet lists but apply it to the third element of each planet list.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract