Message Boards Message Boards

Mathematica 11.0.1 now available for the Raspberry Pi

Posted 7 years ago

Hi all,

Mathematica 11.0.1 is now available for the Raspberry Pi on Raspbian. If you already have Mathematica installed on your Raspberry Pi, you can update with the following:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade wolfram-engine

If you don't already have Mathematica installed you can run the following commands to install it:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine

New features for the Raspberry Pi include :

Additionally, with the new release of WolframScript on the Raspberry Pi, you can install WolframScript standalone and run it without a local kernel against the cloud using the -cloud option. This means you can use the Wolfram Language through WolframScript on the Raspberry Pi without having wolfram-engine installed by running it against the cloud. See the documentation page for WolframScript for more details.

POSTED BY: Ian Johnson
47 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

Hi,

I upgraded to Mathematica 11.0.1, but it seems that I cannot use the "Get Help" option. This is what I'm doing: I write a function on a notebook, then I right click on it. And then I click "Get Help" on the drop down menu. But not matter the function I always get an error. For example if I do that with the function Classify I get:

Your search - Classify - in Documentation Center did not match any documents.

Is anybody else getting the same error?

Thanks,

POSTED BY: Icy Toc

Hello,

The Documentation Center is not shipped with the Raspberry Pi release of the Wolfram Language, so you will need to use the online version of the Documentation Center online at : reference.wolfram.com.

Ian

I tested Mma 11.0.1 / Wolfram 11.01 today on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and had major troubles with the GPIO functions (FindDevices, DeviceConfigure etc.). I am getting errors like these:

LibraryFunction::initerr: A nonzero error code 6 was returned during the initialization of the library /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/11.0/SystemFiles/Components/MRAALink/LibraryResources/Linux-ARM/MRAALink.so.

LibraryFunction::libload: The function GetPlatform was not loaded from the file /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/11.0/SystemFiles/Components/MRAALink/LibraryResources/Linux-ARM/MRAALink.so.

LibraryFunction::initerr: A nonzero error code 6 was returned during the initialization of the library /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/11.0/SystemFiles/Components/MRAALink/LibraryResources/Linux-ARM/MRAALink.so.

LibraryFunction::libload: The function InitializePin was not loaded from the file /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/11.0/SystemFiles/Components/MRAALink/LibraryResources/Linux-ARM/MRAALink.so.

I had previously used MMa 10 on the same hardware and it worked fine.

POSTED BY: Michael Kofler

Hi,

Can you evaluate:

PacletInformation["MRAALink"]
SystemInformation["Small"]

You may still have an older version of the GPIO library active.

Thanks, Ian

Wolfram Language 11.0.1 Engine for Linux ARM (32-bit) Copyright 1988-2017 Wolfram Research, Inc.

In[1]:= PacletInformation["MRAALink"]                                                                                                                     

Out[1]= {Name -> MRAALink, Version -> 1.0.2, BuildNumber -> , Qualifier -> , WolframVersion -> 10+, SystemID -> All, Description -> , Category -> , 

>    Creator -> , Publisher -> , Support -> , Internal -> False, Location -> /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/11.0/SystemFiles/Components/MRAALink, 

>    Context -> {MRAALink`}, Enabled -> True, Loading -> Manual}

In[2]:= SystemInformation["Small"]                                                                                                                        

Out[2]= {Kernel -> {SystemID -> Linux-ARM, ReleaseID -> 11.0.1.0 (2017031701, 2017011701), 

>      CreationDate -> DateObject[{2017, 1, 17}, TimeObject[{12, 45, 19.}, TimeZone -> 2.], TimeZone -> 2.]}, FrontEnd -> Missing[NotActive]}

I have a totally up-to-date Raspbian installation. But perhaps I am too up-to-date with kernel 4.9 running (from rpi-update). I'll test if this is the reason.

Thanks for your reply,

Michael

Just to let you know: I downgraded to kernel 4.4.50 (rpi-update 52241088c1da59a359110d39c1875cda56496764) and everything is fine again. Thanks for hinting to the right direction!

Michael

Thanks for the information! I'm glad you got it working again.

From the looks of your situation, there's likely a problem with the GPIO library we use, MRAA, and the 4.9 linux kernel. We will get to work fixing this.

Ian

Posted 7 years ago

Hi,

Were you able to fix the issue with the MRAA library initialization. I can't open the camera or get any of the sense hat sensor data with 11.01.

I tested camera and sense hat with Python, and they work just fine.

Just tried with a clean install with Raspbian from rpi.org and still crashes. Can you help me with this? Thanks

POSTED BY: Giovani Diniz

Are you having the same problem as Michael Kofler?

The problem above was resolved by downgrading the linux kernel back to 4.4, see instructions on how to do this here : https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/kernel/updating.md

Ian

Posted 7 years ago

I'm running 4.4.5. Should I use a previous one?

Then you likely have a different problem, can you post the specific error messages you're having and what input triggers them?

Posted 7 years ago

I have issues with the camera and the sense hat. Not quite sure if they are related.

While trying to DeviceRead["RaspiCam"] I don't get any errors, but the connection with the camera drops and I have to run DeviceOpen["RaspiCam"] again to establish the connection. Running raspistill works fine, so I know the camera is functioning.

Also, if I use Run["raspistill etc...] followed by Import[%] it also works.

On the hat, however, I tried to DeviceOpen["SenseHAT"] I get the error DeviceOpen::mraaInitFailure Failed to Initialize MRAA Library.

Again, if I run a simple python script the hat works just fine, so I also know it not malfunctioning.

A couple of things that may , or may not be related to this: I had to increase the GPU memory to use my NoIR camera to work. I read someone's post about a Package Raspicam.m, under WolframEngine/Devices/ but it is not present in my installation. The post was not very clear, so I'm not sure if they wrote it themselves.

I ran PacletInformation["MRAALink"] just in case it helped:

{"Name" -> "MRAALink", "Version" -> "1.0.2", "BuildNumber" -> "", 
 "Qualifier" -> "", "WolframVersion" -> "10+", "SystemID" -> All, 
 "Description" -> "", "Category" -> "", "Creator" -> "", 
 "Publisher" -> "", "Support" -> "", "Internal" -> False, 
 "Location" -> 
  "/opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/11.0/SystemFiles/Components/MRAALink", 
 "Context" -> {"MRAALink`"}, "Enabled" -> True, "Loading" -> Manual}

and SystemInformation["Small"]:

{"Kernel" -> {"SystemID" -> "Linux-ARM", 
   "ReleaseID" -> "11.0.1.0 (2017031701, 2017011701)", 
   "CreationDate" -> 
    DateObject[{2017, 1, 17}, 
     TimeObject[{12, 45, 19.}, TimeZone -> 0.], TimeZone -> 0.]}, 
 "FrontEnd" -> {"OperatingSystem" -> "Unix", 
   "ReleaseID" -> "11.0.1.0 (2017031701, 2017011701)", 
   "CreationDate" -> 
    DateObject[{2017, 1, 17}, 
     TimeObject[{15, 33, 25.}, TimeZone -> 0.], TimeZone -> 0.]}}

Thank you for your help. Please let me know if I can provide more information

We're unable to reproduce this on our Raspberry Pi 3's, so I'm wondering if you can post the following output from a terminal window on the Raspberry Pi:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

I suspect that your model may be Revision a32082, in which case your fix is the same as above and just needs an update to the MRAA library, which we are working on.

Ian

Posted 7 years ago

Hi Ian,

processor : 0 model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l) BogoMIPS : 76.80 Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32 CPU implementer : 0x41 CPU architecture: 7 CPU variant : 0x0 CPU part : 0xd03 CPU revision : 4

processor : 1 model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l) BogoMIPS : 76.80 Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32 CPU implementer : 0x41 CPU architecture: 7 CPU variant : 0x0 CPU part : 0xd03 CPU revision : 4

processor : 2 model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l) BogoMIPS : 76.80 Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32 CPU implementer : 0x41 CPU architecture: 7 CPU variant : 0x0 CPU part : 0xd03 CPU revision : 4

processor : 3 model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l) BogoMIPS : 76.80 Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32 CPU implementer : 0x41 CPU architecture: 7 CPU variant : 0x0 CPU part : 0xd03 CPU revision : 4

Hardware : BCM2709 Revision : a22082 Serial : 000000005d45bd7c

Seems my Pi's revision is a22082

Thanks

Posted 7 years ago

Is there a problem withthe a22082 revision as well? I'd be happy to run any tests on my pi if that would help solve the issue.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi, we have updated MRAALink on the paclet servers.

You can update the paclet with :

PacletUpdate["MRAALink"]

and then restart the kernel and this should resolve your issue.

Thanks,

Ian

Posted 7 years ago

Just FYI, it appears that this only works if you already have Mathematica 11 on your Pi. I tried to upgrade the Pi I have (which has Mathematica 10) and all I could do was get the latest version of Mathematica 10.

POSTED BY: Joe Gilray

Hi,

Did you do just sudo apt-get upgrade? If you already have it installed, you will need to perform the wolfram engine upgrade directly like so :

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade wolfram-engine

Thanks

Ian

Posted 7 years ago

Hi Ian- When I heard 11.0.1 was available, I restored my RPi, then sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. OK- but when I tried to upgrade Mathematica to 11.0.1 by using the command line entries you show, something installs, but it is the original 10.0.0!

Anybody else having this problem?

Sorry for any breach in forum etiquette. I was excited to find a knowledgeable person...

Carl

POSTED BY: Carl Smith

What is the output of

ls /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine

?

I don't think this should happen, but it's possible you have both versions installed. Alternatively you can try removing mathematica and reinstalling it completely with:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get remove -y wolfram-engine && sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine

This will not delete any notebooks you may have created or any data you may have from using Mathematica inside ~/.WolframEngine or ~/.Wolfram Research

Thanks,

Ian

Posted 7 years ago

Ian-

I followed your suggestion exactly. The ls command showed 10.0. Inputting the commands exactly as you suggested still resulted in installing 10.0! Indeed the last line of the output showed " Setting up wolfram-engine
(10.0.2+2015020304)..."

Now im wondering if you can only upgrade from the latest upgrade. I'm wondering if I could upgrade to 10.x, or whatever the last version of Mathematica available to RPI was...does anybody know how to make a "partial upgrade"? I can't be the only person having this problem. ( I confess to being a total beginner to RPI).

Thanks for responding... Carl

This most likely means you are running Raspbian Wheezy, for which the latest wolfram-engine package available is indeed 10.0.2+2015020304.

All later versions, as listed in

https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/w/wolfram-engine/

require Raspbian Jessie.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 7 years ago

Ah...makes sense. A little bit of research shows me the change from Wheezy to Jessie is fraught with peril for a beginner. I don't know whether to plow ahead now or just wait for a Noobs card to come out with Jessie and Mathematica 11 ready to go.

Anyway, thank you for the info.

Carl

The upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie is quite straight forward if you want to just reinstall Raspbian, as the default NOOBS download already comes with Mathematica 11 + Raspbian Jessie : https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

You can find information on how to install the download on your own SD card here : https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/software-guide/

I'm not sure what vendors have updated their SD cards that come pre-loaded with NOOBS to have Jessie + 11, but most should have at least Jessie, which allows you to then run the above commands to upgrade Mathematica.

Thanks,

Ian

Posted 7 years ago

Thanks- I'm going to try the download.

Thanks to all for your help.

Carl

Posted 7 years ago

Thanks Ian and Ilian-

I downloaded to an SD card this morning. When inserted in the RPi, it gave me the opportunity to select Raspbian PIXEL. Installed and running with Mathematica 11.0.1 now!

Carl

Hi,

I just got a Raspberry Pi 3. I installed Raspbian, updated using apt update/apt upgrade and rebooted. The kernel version is 4.9.59-v7+, the Mathematica version is 11.0.1.0, the MRAALink version is 1.0.2 and the BCM2835 revision is 0x02082. PacletUpdate["MRAALink"] says that there is no newer version available. I got the 'nonzero error code 6' and 'InitializePin was not loaded' errors. Downgrading to 4.4.50-v7+ resolved the issue (but crippled my monitor resolution). Is a newer version of MRAALink available that supports the latest kernel?

Thanks, Gijsbert

Thanks Michael for your discover! The downgrade let Mathematica access to gpio on my RPi

Try updating the paclet indices first:

PacletSiteUpdate /@ PacletSites[];

PacletFindRemote["MRAALink"]

should be version 1.0.5.

Just for my interest, will the Raspberry get further updates of Mathematica in near future possibly?

POSTED BY: Michael Steffen

Just for my interest, will the Raspberry get further updates of Mathematica in near future possibly?

Version 11.2.0 for the Raspberry Pi was released a couple of days ago.

You're right :) Thats awesome, many many thanks

I just released IGraph/M 0.3.97.1, which is now built for Raspbian Stretch and Mathematica 11.2. This means that on the Raspberry Pi (not on desktop) it now requires this OS and this version of Mathematica (or later).

BTW I am glad to see that GraphAutomorphismGroup is fixed on the RPi in M11.2. :-)

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát

Hello, I upgraded Wolfram on Raspberry pi 3.

mexmat:~# ll /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/11.2/ total 16 drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Feb 15 18:12 AddOns drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Feb 15 18:13 Configuration drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 15 18:20 Executables drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Feb 15 18:19 SystemFiles

But when I try to run both Wolfram/Mathematica, I am asked for activation key or password. Copyright 1988-2018 Wolfram Research, Inc. Mathematica cannot find a valid password. For automatic Web Activation enter your activation key (enter return to skip Web Activation): You will need to get a password from your license certificate or from Wolfram Research (http://register.wolfram.com). Machine name: mexmat MathID: 4701-27310-17972 You will need a valid activation key and password in order to proceed. Go to http://user.wolfram.com to register your activation key and obtain the password. Enter your Activation key Enter your password: The password you entered is not valid. Please press Enter to quit.

Where can I get activation key?

POSTED BY: Valery Bryzgalov

when I try to run both Wolfram/Mathematica, I am asked for activation key or password.

Please see this post.

Hello developers, I think I've found another little bug/problem (?) in Mma 11.2:

'Just for fun' / to see what happens I played around in its options (Format -> Option Inspector)...I tried what will happen if change the FrontEndStackSize (Global Options -> System Configuration) to 131072 and furthermore I changed 'Background' (Notebook Options -> Display Options) to a slightly dark grey instead of standard white.

After a restart my background is now a slightly grey, this is good - but now I can't change it anymore. If I now try to change it the same way again, it always jumps back to the same grey, whatever color I choose there. Also the FrontEndStackSize jumped back to 262144 and is greyed out now, I can't change it anymore (but why was I able to edit it at my first tryout?

Furthermore it seems it has no effect if I click inside the notebook on Format -> Background Color and change something there. When should it take effect, immediately? When I open a new notebook? But it changes nothing and when I open a new notebook, nothing is marked in these options anymore...a bit odd. But I did not watched these things in previous versions so I do not know if that is new or all the time working this way.

Posted 6 years ago

Hello, today I updated Raspbian for to upgrade from Mathematica v. 10 to Mathematica v. 11. I now can use some functions which I was missing before but the TextRecognize stopped working. Originally under Mathematica v. 10 the TextRecognize worked well. Under the upgraded Mathematica v. 11 the Textrecognize gives the message "Failed to load TesseractTools" back. What am I doing wrong?

POSTED BY: Jan C
Posted 6 years ago

tryiing sudo apt-get update --fix-missing now, maybe this will help

Posted 6 years ago

it didnt help unfortunately

For the TextRecognize issue, please see this post.

Posted 6 years ago

Thank you, I found that post yesterday later on too. Please advice, can I follow the instruction on adding "packlet"? to the version 11 exactly like written there in the last message? Or could you advice more exact steps how to add TesseractTools properly?

Posted 6 years ago

I tried PacletSiteUpdate /@ PacletSites[];
PacletInstall["TesseractTools"] now change, still "Failed to load TesseractTools.

I read that Post again and see that maybe "...you may have to install a paclet manually first..." does not mean that Paclet Installation can be done without upgrading to the not yet official 11.2.0 version?

Does it mean that I shall again spend several hours by the terribly slow updating process for v.11 to v.11.2? (Yesterday it took roughly 7 hours to upgrade fro v.10 to version 11.)

Posted 6 years ago

ohh, now I realized that for Mathematica 11.2 i will need to totally reinstall raspbian as probably Mathematica 11.2 wont run on Jessie and needs Stretch. Am I right? How to downgrade Mathematica to (highest subversion of ) version 10 please?

Posted 5 years ago

I was playing with Mathematica on the Raspberry and noticed this:

Limit[(x y^2)/(x^2 + y^4), {x, y} -> {0, 0}] leads to "General::ivar: {x,y} is not a valid variable."

While on Wolfram Cloud:

Limit[(x y^2)/(x^2 + y^4), {x, y} -> {0, 0}] leads to "Indeterminate"

On the Raspberry it looks like Mathematica is complaining about a syntax problem, but the same syntax works on the Wolfram Cloud. Why is that?

POSTED BY: Piero Cau

I get Indeterminate on the Raspberry Pi with version 11.3.0.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát
Posted 5 years ago

I'm using version 11.0.1, that might be the problem. Thanks !!

POSTED BY: Piero Cau

Looks like the Paclet/GPIO problem hasn't been resolved yet. Have tried several versions of Raspbian with the RPi 3 Model B Rev 1.2, and so far have found that stretch v9.3 with kernel 4.9.59-v7 and jessie v8.0 with kernel 4.4.50-v7+ both work with MMA 10.3 and MMA 11.0.1. A few other combinations that I've tried don't work, including buster with MMA 12 (which I'm aware is probably pushing the envelope a bit on the model 3) but result in similar output error messages. I'm happy to go into production with the Model 3B as it has many advantages over newer boards and works quite adequately with WL. See the attached text file for the gory details.

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract