Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Solve an equation with a Piecewise function?

Posted 7 years ago

Hello I'm new to Mathematica, though I know a few about it. I'm trying to find a group of 2 values for Piecewise function changing with x, but I constantly have a problem with Solve producing a lot of errors can you tell me where is my mistake in this ? Whole thing is in attached file, Basically its:

F(x)=Piecewise[...](x,wl,wp)
Solve[MaxValue[F,x]/MinValue[F,x]==1.15,{wl,wp}] Or
CylindricalDecomposition[1.1<=MaxValue[F,x]/MinValue[F,x]<=1.2,{wl,wp}]

So I'm trying to get wl and wp values for optimization, but certainly I'm doing something wrong, please help.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Pio Tyldens
5 Replies

ok. but what exactly is your problem?

POSTED BY: Hans Dolhaine
Posted 7 years ago

So i used manipulate to easly change wl and wp numbers searching for proper outcome, also I changed the function a bit, yet Im not sure but it should close to 0 in hte end too but thats only my calculation problem, Thanks for Help, i add modified file if u wanna check it

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Pio Tyldens

And this is interesting as well......

Manipulate[
 Plot[ff[x, u, v], {x, -2, 10}, PlotStyle -> {Thick, Red}],
 {{u, 0}, -5, 5}, {{v, 0}, -5, 5}]

Maybe it gives a clue to the solution of the original question.

Perhaps it may be helpful to get an impression of the behaviour of your function (as defined in the notebook attached to my last post)

Animate[Plot3D[ff[x, u, v], {u, -5, 5}, {v, -5, 5},  PlotRange -> {-10^4, 10^4}], {x, 0, 20, .1}]

That seems to be sort of a difficult problem. I changed your functions to make sure that all parameters are reaching the actual calculation. But I too got lots of errors. So I tried to get som ideas about the magnitude of the numbers involved. Unfortunately I did not find any reasonable approximation of the solution you are looking for. See notebook. Do you have any ideas about the magnitude of wl and wp?

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract