Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Obtain the moments of a probability mass function?

Posted 7 years ago

I am trying to obtain the moments of this function via Probability Generating Function (PGF) or Moment Generating Function (MGF) but having problem with it. The pdf is

((Binomial[n, x])^v*\[Theta]^x*(1 - \[Theta])^(n - x))/\!\(\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(\[Sum]\), \(i = 1\), \(n\)]\(\*SuperscriptBox[\((Binomial[n, i])\), \(v\)]*
\*SuperscriptBox[\(\[Theta]\), \(i\)]*\*SuperscriptBox[\((1 - \[Theta])\), \(n - i\)]\)\)

I want to find the derivative of the PGF, with respect to t as expressed below and set t=1: that will give first moment. differentiating the second time and set t=1 gives second moment .......

D[\!\(\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(\[Sum]\), \(x = 1\), \(n\)]\*FractionBox[\(\*SuperscriptBox[\(t\), \(x\)]\ \*SuperscriptBox[\((1 - \[Theta])\), \(n - x\)]\ \*SuperscriptBox[\(\[Theta]\), \(x\)]\ \*SuperscriptBox[\(Binomial[n, x]\), \(v\)]\), \(\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(\[Sum]\), \(i = 1\), \(n\)]\*SuperscriptBox[\((1 - \[Theta])\), \(\(-i\) + n\)]\ \*SuperscriptBox[\(\[Theta]\), \(i\)]\ \*SuperscriptBox[\(Binomial[n, i]\), \(v\)]\)]\), t] 

I document is attached for details if this code is not clear enough. Thanks for your kindness.

Olorire

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Seyi Olorire
5 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

The brute force method is just to write a single function covering all moments. For the k-th momement one could use

moment[k_, n_, v_, \[Theta]_] := (D[\!\(
\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(\[Sum]\), \(x = 1\), \(n\)]
\*FractionBox[\(
\*SuperscriptBox[\(t\), \(x\)]\ 
\*SuperscriptBox[\((1 - \[Theta])\), \(n - x\)]\ 
\*SuperscriptBox[\(\[Theta]\), \(x\)]\ 
\*SuperscriptBox[\(Binomial[n, x]\), \(v\)]\), \(
\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(\[Sum]\), \(i = 1\), \(n\)]
\*SuperscriptBox[\((1 - \[Theta])\), \(\(-i\) + n\)]\ 
\*SuperscriptBox[\(\[Theta]\), \(i\)]\ 
\*SuperscriptBox[\(Binomial[n, i]\), \(v\)]\)]\), {t, k}]) /. t -> 1

which in Mathematica looks like

Function for moments

That can be used to check the function I defined previously.

POSTED BY: Jim Baldwin
Posted 7 years ago

Playing around with this a bit and trying different values of k suggests that the general formula for the i-th moment is given by

m[i_, n_,  k_, \[Theta]_] := - FactorialPower[n, i]^k \[Theta]^i  HypergeometricPFQ[ConstantArray[i - n, k], 
    ConstantArray[i + 1, k - 1], (-1)^(k - 1) \[Theta]/(-1 + \[Theta])]/
    ((i!)^(k - 1) (-1 + \[Theta])^i (-1 + HypergeometricPFQ[ConstantArray[-n, k], ConstantArray[1, k - 1], 
    (-1)^(k - 1) \[Theta]/(-1 + \[Theta])]))
Posted 7 years ago

Brilliant idea but complicated somehow.

Thanks for your effort.

Posted 7 years ago

If you set specific integer values for v, you'll get results and be able to see the pattern.

Posted 7 years ago

Alright, we can choose specific values for v, like -10, -5, 1, 5, 10 and see the pattern. I will also try it here.

Thanks for your ideal.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract