Message Boards Message Boards

[?] Why does this PDF use 2 fonts, but the notebook just 1?

Posted 7 years ago

I'm trying to write some note for someone else. It is a real struggle, as he does not seem to understand quite basic concepts.

Anyway, I have written the attached Mathematica notebook in version 7.0.1.0 running on a Sun computer running the Solaris x86 operating system. I have generated a PDF, by saving the notebook as a PDF. The problem is, certain parts of this notebook appear to be in a different font to other parts when shown in the PDF, yet as far as I can ascertain, in the Mathematica notebook, they are the same font. There's no apparent difference of font when I look in Mathematica, but as soon as I look at the PDF, it is obvious there are differences. I have attached a copy of

1. The notebook
  2. The PDF generated on the Sun
  3. A screen shot, showing Acrobat Reader on the Sun.

From the screen shot, and hopefully the PDF, you can see that the two highlighted areas use a different font. Yet as far as I can tell, from the Mathematica notebook, they are both using Utopia 16 point. On the 9th and 10th pages of the PDF, the problem occurs again - the PDF shows a different font, yet the notebook appears to be using the same font.

Any thoughts?

Attachments:
POSTED BY: David Kirkby
5 Replies

That's exactly right. If I look at the PDF in Acrobat Reader > Properties (I'm using OSX) I see that four font families are in use (i.e. referenced) but only one of these is embedded in the PDF.

POSTED BY: Arno Bosse

Dave,

Using grep misses the parts where the default font defined in the style file is used. What it traps are only the parts where a a manual setting of the font was applied, and there you see only one font. In practice there could be many more, non of them detected by grap for the same reason that they are defined only in the style file and are used according to the cell style and the environment used for the notebook I do not have the Utopia font on my system (MAC OS X) the font Utopia is converted to something else - font "Times" ... best yehuda

Posted 7 years ago

It's odd that there are two replies, with one saying the file looks ok if they save as a PDF, and another saying there are two font in there.

I have tried changing the font of the complete lot to something else, then going back to what was the original font, but it makes no difference - I still see the problem. When I run the Unix "grep" command, which looks for strings of text, I see

drkirkby@hawk:~$ grep FontFamily S-parameters-2.02.nb
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
        FontFamily->"Utopia"]},
        FontFamily->"Utopia"]},
        FontFamily->"Utopia"]},
        FontFamily->"Utopia"]}
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
  FontFamily->"Utopia",
 FontFamily->"Utopia",
drkirkby@hawk:~$ 

so as far as I can determine from looking at the .nb files, there's only one font in the document.

I think I'll just have to cut the dubious sections about, and save as plain text, then hopefully I can add them back.

Dave

POSTED BY: David Kirkby

When opened in the newest version 11.1.1, you see that the two text are, actually, typeset in different fonts:

enter image description here

One is clearly sans-serif, and one if serif. (arial, and times from the looks of it, i'm not sure...) They might look the same on your system if you miss certain fonts or if they are not found...

If you select all the text and convert it to a single font, and then re-export, does that work?

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

looks ok when I convert the NB

Attachments:
POSTED BY: l van Veen
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract