Message Boards Message Boards

Partially differentiate an improper integral with a summation?

I am new to Mathematica with experience in MATLAB, and I am frustrated with the long-winded introductory material focusing on syntax and functions irrelevant to my task at hand; I am asking for your help because I have not been able to find the documentation answering these questions. Given equations 1-4, I am trying to verify equations 7-11, 13-15: equations 1-3 defining P, m, and sigma equation 4 defining D enter image description here

[Edit: Regarding equations 13-15, partial derivatives of D, these forums are apparently not compatible with Windows 10 Microsoft Edge and image URLs get deleted erroneously when I Publish edits to the post, and won't let me include more than three images.]

This should be easy to do -- simply define the functions and execute a differentiation command -- but I am struggling both to learn the syntax, GUI, and functions to use.

Here is the code I have written so far trying to verify equation 11:

In[63]:= du = (Sum[v*d^(1/w), i])^w
Out[63]= (d^(1/w) i v)^w

In[64]:= m = (du - T)/(s*T)
Out[64]= (-T + (d^(1/w) i v)^w)/(s T)

In[65]:= D[1/Sqrt[2*Pi]*Integrate[Exp[-x^2/2], {x, -Infinity, m}], w]
Out[65]= (E^(-((-T + (d^(1/w) i v)^w)^2/(
  2 s^2 T^2))) (d^(1/w) i v)^w (-(Log[d]/w) + 
   Log[d^(1/w) i v]))/(Sqrt[2 \[Pi]] s T)

It appears the sum is incorrect: What is this factor of 'i'? I am wondering whether I must use the product of two matrices since the summation is a sum in the physics sense, using subscripts, not in the technical mathematical sense as I see in the Wolfram documentation (in which the summation variable is explicit as a base or exponent).

I intend to continue reading and searching the documentation to try to accomplish this task myself, but I hope you will answer sooner so that I can proceed with my research sooner. Thank you for your time.

POSTED BY: Daniel Bridges
2 Replies

I think this is correct, although for the partial derivative for d and v one must keep in mind the other terms in the sum are 0.

proposed solution

Browsing documentation and trying various commands like natural input, the user can learn Mathematica through trial-and-error.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract