Posted 1 year ago
|
1 Reply
|
2 Total Likes
|

Rotating 24-cell

Self-Dual

More or less, this animation shows a rotating 24-cell. Of course, the title is a reference to the fact that the 24-cell is self-dual.

Since the 24-cell is a 4-dimensional regular polytope, what I'm really showing is a projection of a rotating 24-cell to 3-space (and then of course that gets projected to your 2-dimensional screen). In fact, I'm not even quite doing that. What I'm actually doing is stereographically projecting the vertices of the 24-cell as they rotate, then connecting the projected vertices by straight line segments. In other words, I am not projecting the edges of the 24-cell: I'm just projecting the vertices and then connecting appropriate ones by segments in 3-d.

Of course, to do this I need the vertices of the 24-cell:

twenty4cellvertices = Normalize /@ DeleteDuplicates[
    Flatten[Permutations /@ ({-1, -1, 0, 0}^Join[#, {1, 1}] & /@ Tuples[{0, 1}, 2]), 1]];

And I need to know which vertices are connected by edges:

twenty4celledges = Select[Subsets[
    twenty4cellvertices, {2}], #[[1]] != -#[[2]] && HammingDistance[#[[1]], #[[2]]] == 2 &];

(In fact, I'm just storing the edges as pairs of vertices, which I will then apply the rotation and projection maps to and then connect the resulting pairs of points in $\mathbb{R}^3$ by tubes.)

Also, I need a stereographic projection function:

Stereo3D[{x1_, y1_, x2_, y2_}] := {x1/(1 - y2), y1/(1 - y2), x2/(1 - y2)};

And now I'm ready to make the animation, with the help of my trusty smootheststep function:

smootheststep[t_] := -20 t^7 + 70 t^6 - 84 t^5 + 35 t^4;

With[{viewpoint = 100 Normalize[{1, 1 - Sqrt[2], 0}],
  cols = RGBColor /@ {"#0CCA98", "#5E366A", "#201940"}},
 Manipulate[
  Graphics3D[
   {Thickness[.004],
    Tube[#, .05] & /@ (Stereo3D[
           RotationTransform[π/2 smootheststep[t], {{1, 1, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 1}}][Normalize[#]]] & /@ # & /@ twenty4celledges)},
   PlotRange -> 3.1, ImageSize -> 540, ViewPoint -> viewpoint, 
   ViewVertical -> {0, 0, 1}, Boxed -> False, ViewAngle -> π/300, Background -> cols[[-1]],
   Lighting -> {{"Point", cols[[1]], {0, -3, 0}}, {"Point", cols[[2]], {3, 0, 0}}, {"Ambient", cols[[-1]], viewpoint}}],
  {t, 0, 1}]
 ]

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now a Staff Pick as distinguished on your profile! Thank you, keep it coming!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract