|
4 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Create a color 3D slicer?

Posted 7 years ago

Hello All! I've decided to use Wolfram as a platform to learn how to code a Color 3D Slicer. I'm a total newbie when it comes to coding anything other than HTML. Any advice, suggestions, or help would be highly appreciated., i.e. how to incorporate color information to slices. Thanks!

POSTED BY: EDWARD AYLWARD
4 Replies

What is a Color Slicer? I'm not sure what a slice is in this context. Can you give an example?

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 7 years ago

A slicer is a program that slices a 3D model into layers to be printed on a 3D printer. I need one that will slice a full color 3D file. There is only one that I know of and it is proprietary to Zcorp, now 3D Systems Corp. The open source slicers will only slice monochrome 3D models.

What kind of input would the 3D model be? What kind of output would each slice be? Can you give specific file formats? Otherwise it's hard to tell what this is doing.

The simplest thing I can think of is to work with Image3D. There is even a built in function for looking at slices with Image3D called Image3DSlices. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Image3DSlices.html

Of course this takes in a rasterized 3D image and outputs a rasterized 2D image. If you need the output to be in some kind of vectorized format, the problem will become much more difficult and specific to how your format specifies shapes.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 6 years ago

The file format will be .amf. Each 2D color slice image will be a page in a .pdf document or a .png or .tiff file. The program also needs to have the ability to hollow out the center of the print and to provide automatic support creation.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract