Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
10 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Avoid problems with input of some symbols using ESC key?

Posted 7 years ago

I am working on a set of data and am trying to sort it out but to use, say, Histogram I need to use the double square brackets symbol which somehow does not work with my ESC key. I can get occasionally the left double bracket but not the right one, please see the screenshot.

enter image description here

Any suggestions on what is wrong? I use M10.1 version.

10 Replies

Thanks Ed, seems I have worked it out somehow too. It works now ok.

Cheers,

Andrzej

Andrze, I was reluctant to use the + between keys because it can mean simultaneously press the keys. The open double brackets for me requires four separate keystrokes. First the ESC key (depressed and then released) , followed by two left bracket keystrokes i.e.,[[, and then ESC keystroke to yield the two bracket close to each other. I believe our systems require the same exact sequence of individual keystrokes to achieve the closely spaced open and close brackets. Regards,

POSTED BY: Ed Forrester

Just had an aha moment by doing some random testing, it seems that what works on my keyboard is: ESC+[[+ESC then I get double bracket alright both left and right one. But it still seems different to what they say in the book and what you can get using your systems.

Thanks again, Andrzej

Hi, thanks for your help but there is something rather weird going when I try to get double brackets by using ESC+[[ or]] which should work according to the book. no matter whether I use the bluetooth keyboard or the one being part of MBP it still does not work. Just touching ESC gets a string of 3 marks running followed by seperate 2 brackets no matter whether it is left or right, see the screenshot. Hmmm, will be using symbols palette only from now on. Thanks, Andrzej enter image description here

You have to be careful because the code completion functionality has a tendency to 'swallow' the first key -- especially if it an esc. I get burned by this when I am typing fast.

Andrze, for the following ESC means depress and release Esc Key. For open use ESC [[ ESC and for close use ESC ]] ESC This approach works for V10.1 on Windows 7. Regards, -Ed

POSTED BY: Ed Forrester

I just realized that maybe you are typing ESC+[ and not ESC+[[. Is this the issue?

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Andrzej,

I use a mac and have no esc key issues. I always use two brackets but I just tried ESC+[[ and ESC+]] and they both work on my mac and produce a "fancy" double bracket character -- left and right accordingly. I hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks Neil for your comment, I have tried using two brackets but somehow it was returning an error, I will try again later today. The double bracket symbols can be get from the Symbols Palette but according to the book on Mathematica Language ESC +[ or ESC +] should return double bracket symbols. I use M on Mac Book Pro 15" with apple cordless keyboard, mouse and trackpad + monitor but this should not make any difference, I hope, otherwise Mac users would be disadvantaged. So there must be some problem with M which should be remedied. Do you have same problems with ESC key and typing special symbols? If so what OS do you use Mac or Windows?

Don't use esc there. Just type two square brackets (for both left and right). Esc is only used for Greek letters and more "unusual " characters.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract