Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
11 Replies
|
5 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[?] Simple way to add a column to a 2-D dataset?

Is there a simpler way to add a column to a Dataset than what I'm doing? I've defined a function to combine two (or more) separately created Datasets

joinDataset[x_List] := Transpose[Join @@ Transpose /@ x]

But all I want to do is to use data from a couple columns of the dataset and append the value to the dataset. The current process seems too laborious:

dataset = Dataset[{
   <|"a" -> 1, "b" -> "x", "c" -> {1}|>,
   <|"a" -> 2, "b" -> "y", "c" -> {2, 3}|>,
   <|"a" -> 3, "b" -> "z", "c" -> {3}|>,
   <|"a" -> 4, "b" -> "x", "c" -> {4, 5}|>}]
dataset = joinDataset[{dataset, dataset[All, <|"d" -> #a + #b|> &]}]

That will add a column "d" that adds "a" and "b" but I suspect there's something built-in that will do this better.

POSTED BY: Eric Smith
11 Replies

Shortest way of doing it might be:

dataset[All, Append[#, "d" -> #["a"] + #["b"]] &]

but might not be fastest.

Or simpler notation:

dataset[All, <|#, "e" -> #a + #b|> &]
POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Good call Sander! It's obvious now. I suppose if the dataset is very big I'm better off doing the operation first and the join later?

if your dataset is very big you probably don't want to use Dataset ;-) It is very handy and flexible but that comes at the expense of memory usage and speed in some casesÂ…

I see. I was thinking Dataset was similar to a hash table. What structure would you recommend?

It is very similar to a hash table indeed. But finding/manipulating data in "named" columns just takes more time than if it the can simply be accessed by an index. You can store the data as a 'matrix' (list of lists) and 'remembering' the columns yourself, generally much faster. Dataset can also handle data as just matrices, rather than associations.

That's what I did for years and it was error prone. Associations are probably more efficient, right?

That's the balance: error-prone/flexible/convenience vs speed/less memory. Associations are implemented very efficiently but if you can avoid it and you can use packed arrays than that is (generally) much faster.

Eric,

joinDataset[{dataset2, dataset[All, {"b"}]}]

will work. you have to use the {} to get the key to stay around -- just as you did with

dataset2 = dataset[All, {"a", "c"}]

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Posted 7 years ago

This is perfect! Thanks, Neil. I didn't pick this up from the documentation.

Operators using Right Composition

I hope you don't mind me using this thread for another Dataset question. I've struggled with the logic behind

dataset[All, Key["c"] /* <|"ctotal" -> Total, "clength" -> Length|>]

RightComposition is being used so I should be able write this in another form. If f/*/g/*h@x = h[g[f[x]] then I should be able to use

dataset[All, 
 Function[x, <|"ctotal" -> Total, "clength" -> Length|>[Key["c"][x]]]]

But this doesn't work.

Pure functions using "&" instead of Function

Last last question (I think). This doesn't work:

dataset[All, {"a" ->( #["a"] + 1) &, "b" -> g, "c" -> h}]

but this does

dataset[All, {"a" -> Function[x, (x + 1)], "b" -> g, "c" -> h}]

I've been using Datasets for a while but I feel like I'm not using them with full understanding of what's going on. Same goes for &, Function, and RightComposition.

I appreciate all the help I've gotten on this so far.

POSTED BY: Updating Name

Perhaps this?:

dataset = Join[dataset, dataset[All, <|"d" -> #a + #b|> &], 2]
POSTED BY: Michael Rogers

Not quite, but what I'm asking for isn't much different than adding a column to a 2-D array which can be a bit tedious with

MapThread[Append,{twoDarray,newColumn}]

I can use MapThread if I convert the datasets to associations, do the MapThread, then turn it back into an association

Dataset@MapThread[Append, 
  Normal /@ {dataset, dataset[All, <|"d" -> #a + #b|> &]}]

Using Transpose instead

The route that seems a little more intuitive is to use Transpose. So for adding a column to a 2-D array

Transpose[Append[Transpose[twoDarray],newColumn]]

Which is analogous to the approach I'm using with "joinDataset". I think Datasets are a great way to keep track of a lot of data in a human-usable form.

Extracting column/row with key

One other thing I wonder about is, how do I retain the key when extracting a single value from the Dataset? So for instance, say I want to take dataset[All,"b"] and add it to a different Dataset dataset2? I can't do this:

dataset2 = dataset[All, {"a", "c"}]
joinDataset[{dataset2, dataset[All, "b"]}]

I have to map an association to each element first

joinDataset[{dataset2, <|"b" -> #|> & /@ dataset[All, "b"]}]
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract