|
13 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Financial Plaform and Mathematica

Posted 11 years ago
Dear Sirs/Madams,

I have some questions about the Financial Plaform as follows :

Does the Financial Plaform just add to the realtime Bloomberg data to the Mathematica?
If not, which features does it have compared by the Mathematica?

I know the Mathematica also can make some stock charts and analyze stock data. What is it, the Financial Plaform can but the Mathematica can not?

In case of South Korea, the KOSDAQ and KOSPI data are more important than the Bloomberg data.
Is it possible user to cutomize easily the data source of Financial Plaform in order to receive the realtime data such as KOSDAQ and KOSPI?

Regards,
Daniel Hong
POSTED BY: Daniel Hong
8 Replies
Posted 10 years ago
There is a free Bloomberg/Mathematica interface available at http://www.wheels.org/monkeywrench/?p=737   It is not as slick as Wolfram's offering but it may meet your needs.

[March 2016 -- new version coming soon. Some details at http://www.wheels.org/monkeywrench/?p=834 ]
POSTED BY: Michael Stern
Daniel and Luci,
Craig Bauling here.

Thanks for your comments about the differences between Mathematica and Finance Platform. Posting on the Community is a great way to start a dialogue about topics like this, and your post has already caught the attention of the marketing team.

There are a number of key features that differentiate Wolfram Finance Platform from the other Mathematica licenses. While the Bloomberg link gets the most attention, there are other key features that uniquely support our Wolfram Finance Platform customers.  The two I think are most beneficial are:
  1. A large set of dedicated GPU parallelized functions that serve the Financial marketplace, and 
  2. The inclusion of the Enterprise license functionality.
Regarding 1), your computations take less time to process without needing your development team to create advanced functions. This saves time in development as well as during processing.

Regarding 2), the built-in Enterprise functionality allows users to create interactive reporting systems and to create models with advanced CDF features. Wolfram Finance Platform users can deploy CDF applications that allow non-Mathematica users to import their own datasets, interact using textual inputs (as opposed to only sliders, checkboxes and radio-buttons), and in the end, either publish reports or export the results in various file formats; without your users having to have Mathematica or to know Mathematica code.

The result is that we are seeing a lot of excitement around the Wolfram Finance Platform’s functionality and its ability to support business reporting  systems.
POSTED BY: Craig Bauling
To get more details on Enterprise opportunities that Craig mentioned please take a look at the following blog:

Using Mathematica Enterprise Edition to Create Professional Apps, Tools, and Reports

In a nut shell, here are the advantages:

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Hi all, I can understand these products now. Thanks for your help. everyone emoticon
Bloomberg itself would be the best source of information about their product and what information their service can give you.

I do not have a subscription, otherwise I'd check.  In general a Bloomberg subscription should have trading volume, ask-bid spread, current price  etc. for major stocks and indices. It is intended to be very comprehensive. The speed at which they can provide the data to you depends on the plan that you purchase from them. Some very basic plans can have the data delayed by 15 min, but you can pay more for data that is as real-time as is feasible.
POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Thanks for kind replies.

I would like to ask more questions and do not know much about Bloomberg Subscription and Bloomberg data.
Does the Bloomberg data provided through Bloomberg Subscription also include the information (such as specific company’s trading volume and real-time stock price) of individual companies included in the KOSPI and KOSDAQ of Korea?
Posted 11 years ago
To be fair, the features list on the web site does not make it clear which features of Finance Platform are not present in a Premier Service licence version of Mathematica (possibly with Enterprise CDF). Normal Mathematica also provides the same computational smarts; the Workbench IDE is available with Premier Service; GPU processing and parallelization are available in normal Mathematica; and Enterprise CDF allows live computation on intranets. So the marketing literature doesn't make it clear what extra you get in the Finance Platform, other than the Bloomberg Link and a higher level of technical support. It would be good if Wolfram made the distinction clearer in its marketing literature and communication. Certainly I've struggled to work out why one would choose Finance Platform over normal Mathematica unless one has a large trading/pricing workflow that is strongly dependent on Bloomberg data.
POSTED BY: Luci Ellis
You may wish to contact Wolfram Technical Support (https://www.wolfram.com/support/contact/) or a sales person for an official answers about the features of the Finance Platform. They may also be able to help you get a trial version of it.

The full list of features available in the Finance Platform that are not available in Mathematica is here: https://www.wolfram.com/finance-platform/features.
The Finance Platform allows you to connect to a Bloomberg subscription, but it does not come with a Bloomberg subscription. That must be bought separately. The Bloomberg subscription will need to be able to access KOSDAQ and KOSPI in real time in order for the Finance Platform to use the data in real time. Bloomberg itself would probably be the best place to look for information about whether the Bloomberg subscription has this data, but I would guess that it is available through their subscription service.
POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract