Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[?] Inverse Z-Transform of z/(z - a) with different region of convergence?

Posted 7 years ago

Hello everyone. I tried to get the inverse Z transform of z/(z - a) with different ROC.

InverseZTransform[z/(z - a), z, n, Assumptions -> Abs[z] > Abs[a]]

InverseZTransform[z/(z - a), z, n, Assumptions -> Abs[z] < Abs[a]]

Both cases give me the following output a^n. Actually the inverse Z transform is

(a^n) HeavisideTheta[n] when ROC is Abs[z] > Abs[a],

and is

(-a^n) HeavisideTheta[-n-1] when ROC is Abs[z] < Abs[a].

How can I get these outputs?

Thank you very much.

POSTED BY: Gennaro Arguzzi
6 Replies

Mathematica implements the unilateral Z-transform

In[20]:= ZTransform[a^n HeavisideTheta[n], n, z,  GenerateConditions -> True]
Out[20]= ConditionalExpression[-(z/(a - z)), Abs[z] > Abs[a]]

this is Professor's result, but that is not

In[26]:= ZTransform[-a^n HeavisideTheta[-n - 1], n, z, GenerateConditions -> True]
Out[26]= 0

nevertheless correct under unilateral defintion.

POSTED BY: Udo Krause

@Udo Krause can you explain me why the unilateral z transform of the anticausal sequences does not exist? Thank you very much.

Because the unilateral ZTransform $Z(f[n]) ) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}f[n]z^{-n}$ with $f[n]=-a^n u(-n-1)$ has $f[n]=0, n\geq0$ because the Heaviside function $u(-n-1) = 1$ only for $n<-1$.

But this still does not address your original question, why the InverseZTransform disregards the area of definition given in the assumptions. A dull and unbelievable explanation could be: it knows it has to handle only input wich was generated by the unilateral ZTransform[] - but that's so absurd that I wish I hadn't typed it ... just for discussion: You know you can compute contour integrals with Mathematica specifying the path on your own.

As Mathematica defines it InverseZTransform

The inverse Z transform of a function F(z) is given by the contour integral 1/(2\[Pi] i) \[ContourIntegral]F(z)z^(n-1) \[DifferentialD]z.

it seems to me meaningless - or even inadequate - to define a region of convergence like Abs[a] > Abs[z] because the contour has to walk a closed path around the singularity $a = z$ in the complex plane. It seems that Mathematica disregards assumptions of such type:

In[4]:= InverseZTransform[z/(z - a), z, n]
Out[4]= a^n

Hello @Udo Krause , see the table of my professor please:

http://www.iet.unipi.it/m.greco/esami_lab/bio/Trasformate%20zeta%20notevoli.pdf

On my book (it is a McGraw-Hill's book) there is the proof of what I said. I found an example here (examples 2 and 3): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-transform#Example_2_.28causal_ROC.29

Okay, the assumptions give the area of definition of the ZTransform results.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract