|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[?] Define a custom stylesheet?

Posted 7 years ago

Hi, I am trying to define my own custom stylesheet for various notebooks for various projects I use Mathematica for but using MATHEMATICA® and Programming with the Wolfram LanguageĀ™ HANDS-ON book second edition pages 58-61, I ran into problem with Private Style Definitions. I opened a new notebook which I want to have new stylesheet custom defined and from Format I get Edit Stylesheet then a window appears with Private Style Definitions for the opened notebook, so far it is fine, but once I select the style I want from the dropdown menu Choose a Style I assign the following styles for consecutive cells, say, Chapter then Section then Subsection and according to the book they should show same styles in the notebook too, but no nothing shows up. Have tried several times and does not work, see the screenshot attached. I run M10.1 on Mac Book Pro. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Attachments:
4 Replies

Thanks, yes it's getting closer, I hope, to the solution. I want a private stylesheet which I will store as a template and reuse when needed for new projects of same kind, so ultimately would like to have several private stylesheets stored as templates for various types of projects. I will explore the links you gave and try again hope soon. Have you been able to use Private Style Definitions (PSD) and after selecting some new styles in PSD the new notebook on the right was showing them automatically? As it should following what they say in the Book. Thanks again for help.

Cheers, but this is the point. Using Private Style Definitions (PSD) after selecting them in Choose a Style nothing happens in the notebook I want to have the custom styles assigned to. I have attached the relevant pages from the Book which says that the changes should appear in the notebook. Doing changes to styles of each template I want to use for my various calc sheets manually is rather cumbersome and limited hence Mathematica provided the PSD options. Maybe you could try using PSD and see whether it works, or am I reading something wrong. Thanks

Attachments:

I'm not 100% sure I got it but it seems you don't want a private stylesheet but a custom stylesheet shared for many notebooks. Private stylesheet is private to given notebook, it is a part of it. If you want many notebooks to use the same one, then you need to create a new one (can be private too), install it and set it as a stylesheet for desired notebooks. (programmatically via SetOptions+StyleDefinitions, or via menu/options inspector etc).

About stylesheet installation see

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/howto/InstallAStylesheet.html

If you want a custom stylesheet to be used as your default one:

https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/q/132349/5478

Notice that in both those methods the stylesheet is linked so it will not work if you give your calculation notebook to anyone without your stylesheet. You could create a standalone versions by doing SetOptions[calcNb, StyleDefinitions -> Notebook[...]] where Notebook[...] is imported content of your stylesheet.

Am I on a right track?

POSTED BY: Kuba Podkalicki

(Judging by the screenshot) I don't see any cells in your main notebook that could be affected by style definitions. Add some Chapters, Sections to the right notebook, alter some definitions in the left one and it should be fine.

POSTED BY: Kuba Podkalicki
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract