Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Avoid problem while using a package in Mathematica 7 on Ubuntu?

Posted 7 years ago

Problem Detail I am using a package in Mathematica 7 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS OS(/usr/local/ and script files in /usr/local/bin). It works well when Mathematica is installed fresh without reboot. But when reboot occurs, that package stops working for a specific case until i reinstall Mathematica and it starts working again.

My Ideas I am guessing that somehow upon rebooting, Ubuntu modifies Mathematica installation folders in some way that interferes with the package(cache?). I have tried starting Mathematica with clean-start command from terminal but the package will not run at all in such a way. I have tried changing swapping settings to no use.

Query Since i cannot modify the package(built by someone else), my only way out is to undo the modification Ubuntu does to newly installed Mathematica folder on reboot, so that it is equivalent to fresh installation, which works. Any idea how to accomplish that?**

POSTED BY: pasmon 80
3 Replies

A package is a file ending with a ".m" or ".wl" extension. You load a package into Mathematica by using the "Needs" function. You can put the package basically anywhere and do this as long as you give "Needs" the path to the package.

I would try putting the package in a couple of different directories and try it. If that doesn't work, then the package is just not working. If you need help or clarification, please let me know.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke

When you say the package no longer works, what specifically are you seeing when you try to use it? Are there error messages? Are functions not defined that you expected to be defined? How are you trying to use it? Are you calling "Needs" on the package?

Instead of installing the package normally, you should try just putting it on your desktop and then calling Needs:

Needs["myPackage`", ""/home/myName/Desktop/myPackage.wl"]

Does this work?

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 7 years ago

<<When you say the package no longer works, what specifically are you seeing when you try to use it? Are there error messages?>>

The package under consideration is FormCalc used for the calculation involving particle processes and the package seems to be stuck at some point in computation indefinitely for a particular case though work perfectly well for the same case upon reinstalling Mathematica.

<<Instead of installing the package normally, you should try just putting it on your desktop and then calling Need. >>

Is it possible to install a package in /usr/local as it is downloaded by a script?

POSTED BY: pasmon 80
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract