|
9 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[?] Get gradient of a function?

Posted 7 years ago

I have a function f(z,x),but it is a list of data. It is also in two variables z and x that are lists of data too.

I need to find gradient f(z,x). In another word, how can I find a numerical differentiation of the function.

you can say I have a table or a matrix and the first column is the values of variable z and the second column represents the values of variable x and the third column is the values of F which is a function in z and x. I need to find gradient F

I have attached the file that contains my data. Thanks.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Ghady Almufleh
9 Replies

Ghady,

It appears that you have some bad data in the middle of your vector field. I am not sure of the origin of this. I would explore if the problem is numerical (your derivatives lose accuracy)or if the function is just changing quickly. You can find regions (ie look around {0.3435, 0.4465}) where the vectors suddenly change direction. You need to look at your physics here and understand why. I don't think this is a Mathematica issue -- I think it is a physics issue or a numerical stability issue. If you trace the steps looking at the places where this happens it should become clear.

I hope this helps.

Regards

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Ghady,

Your definition of f[z,x] = {list} makes no sense here. you are not constructing a function. No matter what you enter for z and x you will get the same list as a result.

follow my example above -- the function is a plain list in which the first value of ffun corresponds to the first z and first x value.

ffun={-3.9721816156419436`+1.0114457938132355` I,-3.895303039505704`+0.9366555722647851` I, ...}

The next step is to put the data in the right form.

data = MapThread[{{#1, #2}, #3} &, {z, x, ffun}]

Next interpolate:

q = Interpolation[data]

Define your gradient function -- note that I used Evaluate so the grad is processed immediately.

gradient[a_, b_] :=  Evaluate[Grad[q[a, b], {a, b}]]

Use it as follows

In[15]:= gradient[.34, .44]

Out[15]= {141.589 - 72.8953 I, -237.291 + 55.3092 I}

I attached your fixed file.

Regards

Attachments:
Posted 7 years ago

Dear Singer,

Now it works. I really appreciate your effort and time!!

Thanks and Thanks a lot!

Posted 6 years ago

Dear Mr.Singer,

Please, I need your help if you can in this point because I posted my question previously, but I didn't get any help till now. Is there any way to vary interpolation or add a specific number or syntax to eliminate unwanted points. For example, in my case there are some arrows in the opposite direction which should be removed. In other words, what I should add in this: Interpolation[data]`to improve my results.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:

Ghady,

You first need to restructure your lists in the right format for a two dimensional Interpolation.

x={1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,4,4,4,4};
y={1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4};
f={21,22,23,24,25,24,23,22,21,20,21,22,21,20,19,18};
data = MapThread[{{#1,#2},#3}&,{x,y,f}];

Next use Interpolation to construct the function

ffun = Interpolation[data]

There are many options to Interpolation that you should read --for example using splines or an interpolation order.Documentation

Lastly, you can use derivative to get derivatives. Here I get derivatives at the point 2,2 in various directions:

Derivative[1, 1][ffun][2, 2]
Derivative[1, 0][ffun][2, 2]
Derivative[0, 1][ffun][2, 2]

You can also make a derivative function using the above syntax.

Regards

Posted 7 years ago

Mr.Singer, Thank you for your answer!! I will try your method.

Thanks a lot.

Posted 7 years ago

Dear Singer,

Can you please check my file because I used the method you mentioned, but it doesn't work.

Thanks.

Attachments:
Posted 7 years ago

Thank you for your response. Please can you give me more details because I tried to use interpolatingFunction, but it doesn't work or I didn't know how to create a command using it.

Thank you again!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract