Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[?] Append a string to an array (list?) of numbers?

Posted 7 years ago

Edit : Resolved: See below.

I have an array generated from the following:

array1=Range[10]
array1={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}

As expected. However, A bit later in my notebook I need to make a table out of this array, but I need the first element to be empty. I have tried the following:

Tableform[Transpose[{{Append[{" "},array1]},{array2}}]]

The issue seems to be that Append creates a 2d array instead of simply adding an element to array1. I would think that some data type conversion (integer to string) or something would be necessary, but this does not seem to be something that I can see.

Sorry for being new. Thanks!

POSTED BY: Sarah Chastain
4 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

Append takes the list (or expression) as its first argument, and the thing to append as the second.

So when you showed Append[{" "},array1], I wonder if you meant Append[array1, " "].

Also, what format of table were you hoping to get? That wasn't clear from your original post, especially since you're starting from a 1-dimension list. I just wondered if you meant a a 2-row table where the first row is blank, and the second row is the contents of array1, or if you wanted to split up array1 into into 2 rows with 5 columns, or just what you wanted.

One way to ask this is to hard-code the final output that I wanted, and then ask what code could take me from the input to that output.

POSTED BY: Joel Klein
Posted 7 years ago

It looks like I misunderstood the Append command. I should have been using Insert like the above.

Posted 7 years ago

Sarah,

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

array1 = Insert[array1, "", 1]

{, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 
POSTED BY: Paul Cleary
Posted 7 years ago

Paul, This is exactly what I needed. I'll have to remember the Insert function. Thanks!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract