Message Boards Message Boards

Do I need to drop external binaries for Mathematica Online .nb?

Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 7 years ago

I wrote a Mathematica package that "renders some 3D graphics beautifully" (uses raytracing). The real question is at the END.

rayshade-mathematica 11.0

(image rendered at a low resolution)

https://sourceforge.net/p/rayshade-math/

It's next todo or flaw is it needs upgrade so that textures applied to graphics are done the way Mathematica language does it (exact and vertex spec) rather than "automatic only". I have little time to do "everything" (to fix it all ways but Sunday i cannot do, no profits, cannot hire staff).

Here's a tradeoff problem: Mathematica Online now let's us access documents on iPhone. But rayshade-math requires external binary (ie, runs on iMac) - so trying to use it wouldn't work on iPhone, I assume.

I could re-code the raytracer to run as Mathematica code (translate it from C to .m). But this is a shame because currently rayshade-math supports two GPL raytracers and I was hoping to support (some professional ones, their parsed language) in the future. I'd loose 1/2 the raytrace language support and be completely cut off from supporting Graphics3D -> cutting edge professional raytracer rendering.

I can continue coding in Mathematica to translate Grahics input to raytracer langage (but it requires external bin raytracer).

I have little time I can't imagine I'd ever be able to both.

MY CHOICES SEEM TO BE:

• slowly improve external bin support to rayshade-mathematica (add language parsing), forget about iPhone and Mathematica Online, will only run on any PC/laptop

• improve Mathematica / Online with basic raytracing supported as a package: but be forced to support only 1 raytracer language / method (ie, rayshade but looks POVRay support).

• write raytracer code in Mathematica code but add facility that this parses various languages (that's parsing each language 2x 2 different ways): possible but not realistic time-wise

QUESTION: AM I MSSING SOMETHING? ARE THERE OTHER CHOICES? DOES MATHEMATICA ONLINE SUPPORT external bins running on remote machines?

Thank you

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 7 years ago

I asked myself that question passingly 100 times thinking the answer was necessarily an impasse.

Now that I've posted it I remember on way to store: Mathematica Online very likely allows remote kernel to work, which means a user can certainly run remote Mathematica sessions on their (home) iMac or PC using iPhone as the front-end, "of course"!

I think that answers the question: Mathematica Online imposes no such limitation, it is rather well thought out.

(being a relatively small number of downloaders never asking for features, I just assume starting a "whole new render suite in .m" for better render control by Mathematica .nb isn't a feature to be desired over "works with existing renderers")

again, Thank you

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract