Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Do I need to drop external binaries for Mathematica Online .nb?

Posted 1 year ago
|
1 Reply
|
0 Total Likes
|

I wrote a Mathematica package that "renders some 3D graphics beautifully" (uses raytracing). The real question is at the END.

rayshade-mathematica 11.0

(image rendered at a low resolution)

https://sourceforge.net/p/rayshade-math/

It's next todo or flaw is it needs upgrade so that textures applied to graphics are done the way Mathematica language does it (exact and vertex spec) rather than "automatic only". I have little time to do "everything" (to fix it all ways but Sunday i cannot do, no profits, cannot hire staff).

Here's a tradeoff problem: Mathematica Online now let's us access documents on iPhone. But rayshade-math requires external binary (ie, runs on iMac) - so trying to use it wouldn't work on iPhone, I assume.

I could re-code the raytracer to run as Mathematica code (translate it from C to .m). But this is a shame because currently rayshade-math supports two GPL raytracers and I was hoping to support (some professional ones, their parsed language) in the future. I'd loose 1/2 the raytrace language support and be completely cut off from supporting Graphics3D -> cutting edge professional raytracer rendering.

I can continue coding in Mathematica to translate Grahics input to raytracer langage (but it requires external bin raytracer).

I have little time I can't imagine I'd ever be able to both.

MY CHOICES SEEM TO BE:

• slowly improve external bin support to rayshade-mathematica (add language parsing), forget about iPhone and Mathematica Online, will only run on any PC/laptop

• improve Mathematica / Online with basic raytracing supported as a package: but be forced to support only 1 raytracer language / method (ie, rayshade but looks POVRay support).

• write raytracer code in Mathematica code but add facility that this parses various languages (that's parsing each language 2x 2 different ways): possible but not realistic time-wise

QUESTION: AM I MSSING SOMETHING? ARE THERE OTHER CHOICES? DOES MATHEMATICA ONLINE SUPPORT external bins running on remote machines?

Thank you

I asked myself that question passingly 100 times thinking the answer was necessarily an impasse.

Now that I've posted it I remember on way to store: Mathematica Online very likely allows remote kernel to work, which means a user can certainly run remote Mathematica sessions on their (home) iMac or PC using iPhone as the front-end, "of course"!

I think that answers the question: Mathematica Online imposes no such limitation, it is rather well thought out.

(being a relatively small number of downloaders never asking for features, I just assume starting a "whole new render suite in .m" for better render control by Mathematica .nb isn't a feature to be desired over "works with existing renderers")

again, Thank you

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract