GROUPS:

[✓] Create Multi-coloured tree plot?

Posted 1 year ago
|
1 Reply
|
2 Total Likes
|

I am trying to create a multi-coloured tree plot (Mathematica 9) where each branch is coloured according to its parent node value. For example, for a tree plot with three nodes, n1, n2 and n3, coming from a single parent node (n0), the children nodes of n1 should be red & n2 green and n3 should be blue.

TreePlot[nodes, EdgeRenderingFunction -> ({Red, Line[#1]} &), VertexRenderingFunction -> (Inset[Row[{If[Last[#2] > 3, Rotate[Last[#2], 90 Degree], Last[#2]]}], #1, Background -> White] &)]

I am using the EdgeRenderingFunction for this within the following expression which will render the edges of the tree plot. The problem, I think, is that the If statement is not evaluated straight away and so the compiler does not recognise the first option (contained within the If statement) as a relevant one. As you can see I'm trying to create a tree plot with red and green branches.

TreePlot[nodes, EdgeRenderingFunction -> ({If[Last[#2] === 1, Red, Green], Line[#1]} &), VertexRenderingFunction -> (Inset[Row[{If[Last[#2] > 3, Rotate[Last[#2], 90 Degree], Last[#2]]}], #1, Background -> White] &)]

Here, all edges were rendered the same colour. Not sure whether EdgeRenderingFunction[] renders the whole tree object instead of it's parts or whether I need to include the edge colour into the tree data structure (node table)?

Here's a sample of the node list: {{0} -> {0, 1}, {0} -> {0, 2}, {0} -> {0, 3}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 4}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 5}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 6}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 7}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 8}...

Thanks for your time in helping me with this.

Marc,

The If comparison needs to be a node, not a number:

nodes = {{0} -> {0, 1}, {0} -> {0, 2}, {0} -> {0, 3}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1,
     4}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 5}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 6}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 
    7}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1, 8}, {0, 1} -> {0, 1}}
TreePlot[nodes, 
 EdgeRenderingFunction -> ({If[First[#2] == {0, 1}, Red, Green], 
     Arrow[#1]} &), 
 VertexRenderingFunction -> (Inset[
     Row[{If[Last[#2] > 3, Rotate[Last[#2], 90 Degree], 
        Last[#2]]}], #1, Background -> White] &)]

to get

enter image description here

or a single node:

TreePlot[nodes,EdgeRenderingFunction->({If[First[#2]=={0},Red,Green],Arrow[#1]}&),VertexRenderingFunction->(Inset[Row[{If[Last[#2]>3,Rotate[Last[#2],90 Degree],Last[#2]]}],#1,Background->White]&)]

to get

enter image description here

I am not sure why testing if Last[#2] equals a number throws an error since Mathematica knows that a list can't equal a number but either way, you need a list in that position, not a number. I guess by throwing an error it lets you know that it can never do that test properly.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract