Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
5 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[?] Indicate to W|A that variables are dependent, rather than independent?

Posted 7 years ago

I have seen that the Mathematica product can do this, but I've yet to figure out how to indicate to W|A that variables are dependent, rather than independent. I know that the product can do this, because equations such as finding d/dx of $$xe^x=ye^x$$ produce correct answers ... following along in the solutions. But if I take this result, properly reduced, d/dx of $$\frac{y(x-1)}{x(y-1)}$$ it assumes that the variables are independent. I've tried all sorts of notation without finding a method to instruct to W|A that x and y are dependent variables. Thank you for any answers to my question. BTW I am a paying member of W|A. :-)

POSTED BY: Robert Dinah
5 Replies
Posted 7 years ago
Posted 7 years ago

Thank you very much. In all my years of using W|A I was never aware that you could make Mathematica or Mathematica-like calls directly. Great news! :-)

Posted 7 years ago

That doesn't always work, but sometimes it can solve a problem that you can't find any other solution to

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson
Posted 7 years ago

Can you use this

Dt[y(x-1)/(x(y-1)),x]

to help you get closer to where you want to go?

WA link

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson
Posted 7 years ago

Yes, thank you! Strange that I could not find this under the PD examples or similar. But that did exactly work for me! I've been wrestling about this subject for quite a while. :-) Is there a website area where this syntax is explained?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract