Message Boards Message Boards

Wolfram Player for iOS

Posted 7 years ago

enter image description here

We are excited to announce the release of Wolfram Player for iOS! Now you can harness the power of the Computable Document Format (CDF) anytime, anywhere. Wolfram Player syncs up with other apps on your mobile device—allowing you to access documents from any source—including from the Wolfram Cloud, iTunes, Dropbox and more!

One of the biggest features of this app is the ability to sideload documents into Wolfram Player from other applications. Additionally, Demonstrations and other Manipulate figures look and feel a lot more like what we envision them to be. The intuitive tactile interface offered by Wolfram Player gives a true hands-on approach to interactive modeling in a way that's never been done before.

When integrated with the Wolfram Cloud app, you can seamlessly move between designing notebooks and pulling them down for testing, thereby paving the way for increased collaboration and efficiency for a variety of projects.

Check it out for yourself.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Jesse Dohmann
7 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

I am planning to get a new phone later this month since I have moved to a new country and my old phone is causing me difficulties. I see there are good deals on Samsung (Android) and iPhones (IOS). My issue is I want to run notebook applications locally on my phone. So if I create a program that does something useful and I want to use it on the go then I want to run it locally on my mobile.

So my question is which device is more preferable for this usage. I see there are two types of applications on mobile devices being published by a company named Wolfram Group LLC, Wolfram Cloud and Wolfram Player. I am assuming the Wolfram Cloud app will not run the notebook application on the local mobile hardware so would be pretty slow and not feasible for computationally intensive applications.

So if anyone that has been using these apps on their devices, please share their experience on which phone to get. Also, I see that the Wolfram Player app is not available on the Google Play Store. Maybe there are some other Android stores where I can get the Wolfram Player app?

Finally, I am a long term windows user so I don't know much about how Samsung vs iPhone will behave in terms of connectivity with windows.

Also, please somebody explain if Wolfram Player can run notebook application directly then what is the purpose of CDF vs NB?

POSTED BY: Muhammad Ali
Posted 7 years ago

Will free app users be unable to perform pan and zoom on 3D CDF objects, or will they have to purchase the in-app upgrade to do that?

At 1:33 into his 2016 Wolfram Technology Conference presentation, Rob said that EnterpriseCDF documents would have full interactivity for all users. Is this still the case?

I think it’s reasonable to disallow Manipulate() functionality in the free app. OTOH, I think it would be a shame to disallow all visualization functionality without the purchase. There is something magical in allowing every young explorer the ability to create CDFs that can be dynamically 3D-viewed by anyone.

Have you asked Apple to put this wonderful app on their iPad demo units in their stores? I’d love to see Apple Store presentations showing the magic of Wolfram apps. Years ago, people went to stores saying, “Give me a VisiCalc,” which was an Apple 2 + VisiCalc. I’d love to hear about people going to Apple stores saying, “Give me a Mathematica!” :) Thanks.

POSTED BY: Phil Earnhardt
Posted 7 years ago

I asked this question in the Wolfram Blog; I got a reply there:

You will not need to purchase the in-app purchase to pan or zoom 3D objects. EnterpriseCDF documents also require no in-app purchase to make work. As for having an iPad demo the app, we’re certainly hopeful!

I'm hoping teachers understand: it would be tremendous for a student to create a CDF and then be able to see it run on an iPad. It ignites imaginations to write the code and then see it come to life. The CDF player is one man's (and his company's) vision for visualization. Authoring the code in the Wolfram Cloud or on some PC (including Raspberry Pi) is a tad convoluted, but kids should pick up that fire drill quickly. It's all just part of the game.

I'll have conversations in my circles to ask about getting this app in the Apple Retail Store's demo load. This should not be too hard; it is a Win-Win for both companies to have world-class software running on these sales floor machines. A pie-in-the-sky idea would be for store's Creatives to have presentations walking kids through the steps to author and deploy CDFs. We cold make this happen!

Really curious what the "Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor" might be that causes the app's rating to be 9+ at the iTunes store!

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
Posted 7 years ago

Not sure, but the network functions are pretty edgy (hey, you asked...)

POSTED BY: Mark Loparco
Posted 7 years ago

I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that CDF files could contain bad words and/or 3D renderings of "crude humor". Clever CDF coders could computationally generate the mildly profane output. In other words, statically filtering out all potential objectionable content in a computational environment is problematic.

Maybe they realized how <expletive> difficult it was to create?

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract