Message Boards Message Boards

Increase speed in notebook that uses Dynamic[FinancialData]

Posted 7 years ago

I want to make a cfd that presents an analysis of the course of stock prices obtained from FinancialData and in which the user can jump from one stock to another. But when I for instance make a notebook with the following commands

Dynamic[p]
Dynamic{FinancialData[p,{2017,1,1}]
p="GE"

Mathematica becomes awfully slow, while other programs at the same time keep running at the usual speed. Is there any remedy for this problem? In the Windows 10 task manager I can see that Mathematica uses only about 1% of the Intel i5 processor and 92 MB of the 8 GB memory while the Mathematica Kernel uses about 5% of the processor, 288 MB of the memory and 1 to 2 Mbps of my 50 Mbps download internet connection speed.

POSTED BY: Laurens Wachters
2 Replies

See below the reply that I got on this from Neil Singer after asking the same question as a sequel in the discussion titled "Choose dates dynamically with a slider?". Both programs turn out to work beautifully.

Laurens, Your posted code did not have matching delimiters but I got the same behavior (once fixing it) because the FinancialData call is time consuming. I fixed it one way (the easy way --- but more limiting) with this code by using a Manipulate.

Manipulate[
 ListLinePlot[FinancialData[p, {2017, 10, 1}][[All, 2]]], {p, "ge"}, 
 ControlType -> InputField]

You can use Dynamic directly but you must handle more details this way:

DynamicModule[{p, plotfun, plot}, p = "ge"; 
plotfun[a_, b_] := 
plot = ListLinePlot[FinancialData[a, {2017, 10, 1}][[All, 2]]]; 
plotfun[p, p]; 

Column[{InputField[Dynamic[p, {Automatic, plotfun}], String], 
Dynamic[plot]}]]

The way this works is to make the variables p, plotfun (the function for plotting), and the plot itself local . This is so we do not mess with global variables (although you can make them global if you want). I define a function to make the plot called "plotfun" so I can call it two times -- once at initialization so we start with a default plot and once in operation. Note that I used String as the second argument to InputField so we do not need to deal with the quotation marks. I use the optional arguments to Dynamic {fstart,f,fend}. Read about these but I defined them to be {Automatic, plotfun} -- during editing the inputfield MMA automatically updates the variable "p" but at the end (when you hit tab or return) it runs the function "plotfun" (which updates our plot --- only once!!! so we do not bring the machine to its knees repeatedly getting financial data. Regards Neil

POSTED BY: Laurens Wachters

have the same symptom (plus a lot of time out to the wolfram alpha servers :()

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract