Message Boards Message Boards

Make Mathematica's interface less blurry?

GROUPS:

I run Mathematica 11.2 in Windows 10. I have a 4k monitor (resolution 3840x2160) at work and another at home running at recommended 150% scale. The Mathematica interface looks really blurry and it is painful to read (see attached image, the window behind Mathematica is the browser window where this message was being composed. Browser text is very sharp, as is the rest of Windows. Mathematica text is blurry).

My laptop (Surface book) runs at a resolution of 3000x2000 and 200% scale and Mathematica there looks even blurrier.

High dpi monitors have been out for many years and Mathematica has always been blurry for me on them. Is there a way of making it give good text? Am I missing some non-obvious setting that improves this?

Luis.

Attachment

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Luis Rademacher
Answer
8 days ago

There is a setting to change the display fonts size in windows 10. I noticed that MM doesn't really work with that set. So I use the default 100% and only use the MM scaling only. Still not ideal but much better then any combination with the Windows font size setting. I don't have a very high res monitor (1920). enter image description here

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Answer
8 days ago

I tried that. I doesn't fix the issue for me. At 100% every app and interface element in Windows looks unreadably tiny. A 4k monitor typically has about 4 times as many pixels as a 1920 and therefore a scaling like 150% is more or less necessary. At that scaling almost every programs in Windows looks great, with sharp fonts and good size, except Mathematica.

If I use MM scaling as suggested (with Windows scaling at 100%), everything else in Windows is still tiny and many elements of Mathematica's interface (e.g. menu bar) are still tiny.

Answer
8 days ago

Thanks for the reply. I had already seen most of those links and they don't fix the issue. Is there an actual fix in any of them? When I tried their suggestions, they would improve some aspect but make others worse.

I noticed that in one of the suggested links, https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/134054/blurry-fonts-in-notebooks it is stated:

UPDATE: Answer from a Wolfram Technology Engineer

Mathematica's front-end does not support 4K resolution monitors fully and is known to have some issues when used in 4K resolution monitors. Our developers are currently working on this issue.

I'm confused by this statement, as high-dpi displays have been mainstream for more than 5 years (e.g., MacBook Pro with Retina display). One of the 4k monitors I'm using has been out for more than 3 years.

Answer
5 days ago

Group Abstract Group Abstract