Message Boards Message Boards

[✓] Plot gradient of a function of a variable?

GROUPS:

Hello everyone, I'd like to plot the gradient of a function of a variable. Before I hope that the derivative is the component of the gradient, that is a scalar, instead the gradient is a vector. For example, for the function f(x)=x^2 and f'(x)=2x, the gradient should be the plot with green arrows:

enter image description here

I tried to do it with the following statement:

VectorPlot[{2 x, 0}, {x, -3, 3}, {y, 0, 0.00001}]

Is it correct?

When I try to plot f(x), f'(x) and gradient, I get a strange plot because maybe the range {y, 0, 0.00001} in VectorPlot does not allow to show me the range I set:

Show[VectorPlot[{2 x, 0}, {x, 0, 2.5}, {y, 0, 0.00001}], 
 Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 2.5}, PlotRange -> {{0, 2.5}, {0, 6}}], 
 Plot[2 x, {x, 0, 2.5}, PlotRange -> {{0, 2.5}, {0, 6}}, 
  PlotStyle -> Red]]

Thank you so much for your time.

POSTED BY: Gennaro Arguzzi
Answer
11 days ago

Your plot is strange perhaps because VectorPlot displays many rows of arrows, which are almost superimposed in your composite plot. Unfortunately VectorPlot does not allow a single row of arrows, it wants at least two:

VectorPlot[{2 x, 0}, {x, 0, 2.5}, {y, 0, 0.00001}, 
 VectorPoints -> {7, 1}]

Here is a workaround that collects with Cases a single row of arrows from VectorPlot and displays it as an Epilog:

Plot[{x^2, 2 x}, {x, 0, 2.5}, PlotRange -> {{0, 2.7}, {-1.1, 7}}, 
 PlotStyle -> {Automatic, Red}, 
 Epilog -> 
  Translate[
   Cases[VectorPlot[{2 x, 0}, {x, 0, 2.5}, {y, 0, 0.00001}, 
     VectorPoints -> {7, 2}], Arrow[{{_, 0.}, _}], All], {0, -1}]]
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Answer
10 days ago

"Gradient" usually refers to the situation of a scalar-valued function of a vector variable, which typically means the domain is a subset of Rn for n ≥ 2.

In your example, by "gradient" do you simply mean the slope of the real-valued function of one real variable?

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
Answer
11 days ago

Hello @Murray Eisenberg , yes I mean the vector given by the product between angular coefficient of the tangent and the versor i because I know that in this special case I can define gradient also for function of a variable:

nabla(f) = (df/dx,0,0) = df/dx i

Answer
11 days ago

Thank you for your help @Gianluca Gorni .

Answer
9 days ago

Group Abstract Group Abstract