GROUPS:

Use remote kernel V11 + V5.2?

Posted 11 months ago
|
3 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
|

Can V5.2 Front End connect to a V11 Remote Kernel? Since I have just recently purchased V11 for my desktop, I thought that my laptop could run the old version that I still own, but I can't seem to get it to work, as the front end just hangs indefinitely when I try it. Since my new purchase was a home edition and didn't come with a second license, I'm trying to be frugal by using the old license also. Any thoughts?

3 Replies
Posted 10 months ago

I would expect the answer to be no, as the front-end underwent a big transformation in V6 (as I understand it) which enabled things like Dynamic interactivity. My uneducated guess is that it is this type of functionality that is crushing your 5.2 FE.

Yeah, the graphics wouldn't pipe over but still just for calculation it ought to work somehow...maybe some kind of manual link w/o front end...

Posted 10 months ago

I'm sure you could get something like that to work. Depending how gung-ho you are you can also set up a ChannelObject listener on your desktop where you can pass it arbitrary code to execute then link to that in a sandboxed cloud notebook. Thus bypassing paying for cloud credits and still being able to use a nicer FE than 5.2 would give you. Obviously there are difficulties here: what happens when you kill your desktop kernel being the chief one among them. But assuming you can get a CLI kernel link via ssh (100% should be possible) you can revive that channel interface.

If you do develop a package like that (it'd be max 500 LOC to get a simple one up and running, I'd guess) please do post about it. I'm sure lots of people would want to hear about it.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract