Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

[✓] Solve systems of equations with trigonometric expressions?

Posted 9 months ago
|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
|

I am fairly new to Mathematica, so this may be a simplistic question, but I want to learn. I know how to use the Solve function to solve a single equation like this:

Solve[Cot[c Degree] == 5.792, c]

and I know how to use Solve to solve a system of multiple equations like this:

Solve[{5*j + 2*r == 5, 6*j - 3*r == 9}, {j, r}]

However, when I try to solve a system of multiple equations that involves trigonometric expressions like this (some variables previously defined):

Solve[{Fr == Cos[phi Degree]*Fb + Sin[theta Degree]*Fa, 
   0 == Cos[theta Degree]*Fa - Sin[phi Degree]*Fb}, {Fa, theta}] // N

I get only a partially correct answer along with some results that are difficult to understand:

{{Fa -> -883.103, 
  theta -> ConditionalExpression[57.2958 (-2.10618 + 6.28319 C[1]), 
    C[1] \[Element] Integers]}, {Fa -> 883.103, 
  theta -> ConditionalExpression[57.2958 (1.03541 + 6.28319 C[1]), 
    C[1] \[Element] Integers]}}

What do I need to do to get Mathematica to give me a value of theta in degrees? I am sure there is a straightforward solution, but I just can't seem to find it. Thank you!

3 Replies

A ConditionalExpression is valid only if the given condition is satisfied. In this case, C[1] must be an integer coefficient. The solution don't seem problematic to me:

eqs = {Fr == Cos[phi Degree] Fb + Sin[theta Degree] Fa, 
   0 == Cos[theta Degree] Fa - Sin[phi Degree] Fb};
sol = Simplify@Solve[eqs, {Fa, theta}];
Simplify[eqs /. sol, Element[C[1], Integers]]

You get single solutions by giving integer numerical values to C[1]:

Simplify[sol /. C[1] -> 3]
Posted 9 months ago

Thank you, Gianluca. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am not able to get that work for me. It makes sense to me that theta would be valid over a certain given range. The problem these equations I am trying to solve represent is a basic statics/physics problem, so the angels are definitely between 0 and 360 degrees. Does your statement that I can get single solutions by giving integer numerical values to C[1] somehow tell Mathematica to only consider values of theta (and phi for that matter) that are between 0 and 360? I apologize for my novice understanding of Mathematica and its terminology.

Although I don't really understand what you want to do I think there is another possible approach. For the time being I forget the Degrees, any angles may be easily converted to degrees later on.

Your second equation is easily solved for Sin [ phi ]

In[1]:= Fr1 = Fb  Cos[phi] + Fa Sin[theta];
lsg = Solve[0 == Fa Cos[theta] - Fb Sin[phi], Sin[phi]] // Flatten

Out[2]= {Sin[phi] -> (Fa Cos[theta])/Fb}

In your first equation convert Cos [ phi ] to a Sin-expression and and put the solution for Sin [ phi ] in

In[3]:= Fr2 = Fr1 /. Cos[phi] -> Sqrt[1 - Sin[phi]^2]

Out[3]= Fb Sqrt[1 - Sin[phi]^2] + Fa Sin[theta]

In[4]:= Fr3 = Fr2 /. lsg

Out[4]= Fb Sqrt[1 - (Fa^2 Cos[theta]^2)/Fb^2] + Fa Sin[theta]

Simplify this a bit

In[5]:= Fr4 = Simplify[Fr3 /. a_ Sqrt[x_] -> Sqrt[a^2 x]]

Out[5]= Sqrt[Fb^2 - Fa^2 Cos[theta]^2] + Fa Sin[theta]

and solve for theta

In[6]:= Solve[Fr4 == Fr, theta]

During evaluation of In[6]:= Solve::ifun: Inverse functions are being used by Solve, so some solutions may not be found; use Reduce for complete solution information. >>

Out[6]= {
{theta -> -ArcCos[-( Sqrt[-Fa^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fb^2 - Fb^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fr^2 + 2 Fb^2 Fr^2 - Fr^4]/(2 Fa Fr))]}, 
{theta -> ArcCos[-(Sqrt[-Fa^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fb^2 - Fb^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fr^2 + 2 Fb^2 Fr^2 - Fr^4]/(2 Fa Fr))]}, 
{theta -> -ArcCos[ Sqrt[-Fa^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fb^2 - Fb^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fr^2 + 2 Fb^2 Fr^2 - Fr^4]/(2 Fa Fr)]}, 
{theta -> ArcCos[Sqrt[-Fa^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fb^2 - Fb^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fr^2 + 2 Fb^2 Fr^2 - Fr^4]/(2 Fa Fr)]}}

To get real solutions you should consider the expression under the square root, which in this case must be > 0

In[10]:= Factor[-Fa^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fb^2 - Fb^4 + 2 Fa^2 Fr^2 + 2 Fb^2 Fr^2 - Fr^4]

Out[10]= -(Fa - Fb - Fr) (Fa + Fb - Fr) (Fa - Fb + Fr) (Fa + Fb + Fr)

Showing that one or three factors must be negative.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract