|
3 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

An algorithm to obtain appropriate numerical solutions for the bounce

Posted 6 years ago

I am looking to replicate an algorithm explained in the paper "Impact of new physics on the EW vacuum stability in a curved spacetime background" by E. Bentivegna, V. Branchina, F. Continoa and D. Zappal` to numerically solve the boundary-value problem encountered when trying to find the bounce solution in false vacuum decay. It can be found here: https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.01138

In the Appendix, "A Numerical computation of the bounce solution", it outlines an algorithm involving a shooting method to solve the following boundary problem:

$y^{\prime\prime}(x) + \frac{3}{x}y^{\prime}(x) = \frac{dU}{dy};\\ y(\infty) = 0,\ y^{\prime}(0) = 0, \\U(y) = \frac{1}{4}y^{4}(\gamma +\alpha\ln^{2}y + \beta\ln^{4}y),$

where ${}^{\prime}$ indicates differentiation with respect to $x$.

The value of the constants in the equation are as follows:

Mp = 2.435*10^18;
\[Alpha] = 1.4*10^-5;
\[Beta] = 6.3*10^-8;
\[Gamma] = -0.013;
\[Lambda]6 = 0;

The appendix outlines the algorithm as follows, where Eq.(2.23) is referring to the differential equation (and boundary conditions) stated above. Appendix Part 1 Appendix Part 2 Appendix Part 3

I am attempting to recreate this algorithm in Mathematica but my attempts thus far of simply trying numerically integrate the differential equation using a shooting method with boundary conditions specified in the Appendix has just yielded errors owing to finding complex infinities.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Benjamin Leather
3 Replies

Hello,

I don't no if my code is correct!. Plot is smilar to your attachment.

? = 1.4*10^-5;
? = 6.3*10^-8;
? = -0.013;
U = Re[D[1/4*y[x]^4*(? + ?*Log[y[x]]^2 + ?*Log[y[x]]^4), y[x]]]

sol = With[{? = 1/10000}, NDSolve[{y''[x] + 3/x*y'[x] == U, y[5000] == 0, y'[?] == 0}, y, {x, ?, 5000}, 
Method -> {"BoundaryValues" -> {"Shooting", "StartingInitialConditions" -> {y[?] == 2, y'[?] == 0}}}]]

Plot[y[x] /. sol, {x, 1/10000, 200}, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here

Regards,MI

POSTED BY: Mariusz Iwaniuk
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract