7 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to reactivate Mathematica?

Posted 6 years ago

Hi all,

I recently had to reinstall Windows 10, and I found out that my mathematica 11 license I purchased recently is no longer valid. How do I deactivate my software so that I can reactivate it after a legitimate reinstallation of Windows 10?

Also, it is quite within my rights that if I need to replace a hardware item, that I can still install and run one copy of my purchased and licensed copy of Mathematica 11. If mathematica deems that I cannot legally continue to use my paid-for product on altered hardware, then how do I get a refund for this product, as it does not comply with the Australian ACL.

Thank you.

POSTED BY: justin.s.leary
7 Replies
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 6 years ago

I can tell you don't change the HOST NAME if you re-install windows (or the motherboard). Though that may not be a solution, it's a rule for linux. I can re-install linux and not re-install MM if I my (general settings) are the same and I'm on, relatively, the same PC

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Posted 6 years ago

Hi. I have moved my MMA license between computers several times in the past. Also, on the same PC, upgraded from WXp->W7->W10. No sweat. I just followed the instructions linked to from here. Essentially just sending an email to WRI. Explaining what you want (or need) to do.

POSTED BY: Hans Milton
Posted 6 years ago

Hi all,

thanks for the replies. Yes, I agree that it would be better to give mathematica users a way to deactivate the license before reinstalling windows in order to avoid jumping through silly hoops just to get it working again.

Last night I was hoping to do some more study in a complex number class I am enrolled in, I had been taking notes in mathematica, but am unable to continue as I have to wait until wolfram support decides to reset my activation number.

John - my activation code doesn't work. You are having a go at me for something that isn't relevant. It is the exact same machine, exact same hardware. I just had to reinstall Windows 10. Like I said, I tried to find out if there was a way to deactivate my license prior to the uninstallation and reinstallation process, but there isn't. For whatever reason, the activation code wouldn't work. I am familiar with the terms of the license. If I wanted to move this license to a different machine I am aware that I have to do a system transfer, but I am not in this case.

POSTED BY: justin.s.leary
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 6 years ago

I sometimes "go at topics" but try never to go at users :) Here it was neither.

I said that doesn't happen using an iMac or Mac Mini or (anything running High Sierra). Same deal with Linux (note: a long time ago - i haven't tried re-install of MM since the 2000's on linux - though i still have MM running on a linux box).

So perhaps the Windows version of MM has a slight flaw comparably (which likely work previously and stopped working?)

You should report that to Support as a bug I think (one they may or may not know about).

On the other hand if you switch to Apple products I can't tell you there won't be "things missing" that Win10 did that Apple won't. I would say: hey MM app is now on iPhone - they are doing allot of rapid changes. You'll see a few dings here and there. But the core is just excellent for (the things it encompasses, which is about anything except deep specialty in any field but math)

Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 6 years ago

Just re-use your activation code like everyone else. (unless your installing another copy on another computer: which is a breach of license if your using it on two different computers. but the same restriction is present for running Windows 10 - so its' one you should be familiar with)

You bought the product acknowledging you agreed to use it as intended. Wolfram can't possibly know if you wish to "change computers" in the future to something un-supported. That's clearly outside of any store purchase scenario.

I sympathize with you, I wish I could transfer my 11.x license between an imac and win10 in seconds (dis-allowing the other computer to run at the same time). But I can't either. The problem is people steal.

You DO NOT need a system transfer license if your mac mini has to be re-installed. I can't say why. I might add I cannot verify that a STL is needed for re-installing WIN10. My guess is no: not unless you walked it to a different computer. (the license is clear you can only have one running installed copy per purchase)

If you speak to wolfram they might be happy to give discount on a second "home use" copy. MIght.

Mathematica is an excellent system it's well worth keeping on a "stable computer" (perhaps a mac mini) and leaving installed for continual use (rather than on a PC that is continually part hacked or continually requiring re-installation (win10? i didn't know that mine seems ok).

I used to be frustrated with it when I had a "PC from parts", but it was well worth it, and I keep it on a mac mini now.

I've had to do this myself a few times lately - once after reinstalling Windows, and once when my hardware was replaced (after the reinstall failed to remedy a problem). I was able to reactivate the product after filling out a form that the installer directed me to - I believe it was a "system transfer form" or something like that. The first time through the process it authorized the new activation without a hitch. The second time it temporarily reactivated it, but told me that someone at Wolfram would have to review it - likely because I had just reinstalled in a week or two before in my first Windows reinstall. You likely will see the same form to fill out during installation if you try to install and reactivate using your existing activation code.

I do wish there was a way to just deactivate an install before reinstalling the OS so that I could reinstall and activate it without jumping through silly hoops.

POSTED BY: Matthew Sottile

Just call 1 800 wolfram, follow prompts to licensing and tell them you need to reactivate your Mathematica. Then they will reset it so you can.

POSTED BY: Marvin Ray Burns
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract