Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Convert a batch of RGB images to Grayscale?

Posted 6 months ago
|
9 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
|

I have a few RGB images in a folder which i would like to convert to grayscale. I have been able to convert them individually but i am unable to convert all the images in the folder at one go. I have tried to implement ColorConvert and ColorSpace but was unable to convert the complete set of images in one go. I need to convert approximately 2000 images so it is not possible to convert them individually. I request some help to achieve this task.

Thanks

9 Replies

Would something like this work for you?

pathToFiles = "/yourPath/..";
SetDirectory[pathToFiles];
newPath = FileNameJoin[{pathToFiles, "newPath"}];
If[!DirectoryQ[newPath],
    CreateDirectory[newPath];
];
files = FileNames["*.jpg", pathToFiles];
Export[FileNameJoin[{newPath, FileNameTake[#, -1]}], ColorConvert[Import[#], "Grayscale"]] & /@ files

referenced from here

Posted 6 months ago

had tried that already before posting the question, I am getting the following error when i do that

ColorConvert::ccvinput: C:\Users\Pushkar\Desktop\validate\test\car\00001.jpg should be a valid image, a color directive, a list of machine-sized real numbers of length up to 3, or a list of such objects.

I get the above error around 5 times and then i get the following error

General::stop: Further output of ColorConvert::ccvinput will be suppressed during this calculation.

after this error the notebook quits the kernel

Please retry.

Posted 6 months ago

Thanks, It worked. I tried something similar but it did not work when i tried.

I have another questions which i am trying to solve and would like your help if its not too much to ask.

I would like to take the same set of images, find out the HOG descriptors of the images and save the vectors in the form of a jpg for all the images.

img=(*image*); 
 dims = ImageDimensions[img];
    dirs = ImageData[GradientOrientationFilter[img, 5]];
    magnitudes = ImageData[GradientFilter[img, 5]];
    orientations = 
        MapThread[#1 {-Sin[#2], Cos[#2]} &, {magnitudes, dirs}, 2];
    Show[img, 
      ListVectorPlot[
        MapIndexed[{{#2[[2]], dims[[2]] - #2[[1]]}, #1} &, 
          orientations, {2}], VectorColorFunction -> (Yellow &)]]

There are two problems with this, I would like to get an output of only the descriptors in the form of a jpg and also i would like to write a loop for 2000 images. I will start a new discussion regarding this but as you are actively solving all my questions, i wanted to ask you directly.

The source of my example is wolfram documentation , Please see the Applications section

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/GradientOrientationFilter.html

I apologize for side tracking this discussion.

Thanks

You can make a function and use it:

pathToFiles = "/yourPath/..";
SetDirectory[pathToFiles];
newPath = FileNameJoin[{pathToFiles, "newPath"}];
If[!DirectoryQ[newPath],
    CreateDirectory[newPath];
];
files = FileNames["*.jpg", pathToFiles];
Export[FileNameJoin[{newPath, FileNameTake[#, -1]}], customFunc@Import[#]] & /@ files

Now, your customFunc

customFunc[img_Image] :=
    Block[{dims, dirs, magnitudes, orientations},
       dims = ImageDimensions[img];
       dirs = ImageData[GradientOrientationFilter[img, 5]];
       magnitudes = ImageData[GradientFilter[img, 5]];
       orientations = MapThread[#1 {-Sin[#2], Cos[#2]} &, {magnitudes, dirs}, 2];

ListVectorPlot[
           MapIndexed[{{#2[[2]], dims[[2]] - #2[[1]]}, #1} &, orientations, {2}], 
           VectorColorFunction -> (Yellow &)
        ]
    ]
Posted 6 months ago

I have tried what you suggested but the code is just creating an empty folder and is exiting the kernel.

I forgot to mention to you that i do not want the image in the background, i just want the descriptors as jpg without the actual image in the background.

I have updated the reply not to include the original image.

Are you sure you are trying exactly what I posted?

Posted 6 months ago

I have tried the updated code and have done the exact same thing which you posted but i am still getting an empty folder without anything in it and the kernel is quitting within seconds of evaluating the notebook.

Can you please retry with the updated answer (there was no need for extra wrapper function) ?

You can first try with a smaller chunk to see how it works. For that just use files[[;;5]] instead of files at the last line of the code block (the line with Export)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract