Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
15 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Avoid trouble using GridLines->Automatic?

Posted 6 years ago

To explain what's going on, when I try to make a ListLogLogPlot from a table of data, and I put in GridLines->Automatic, I get the following error: "The value of the GridLines option should be None, Automatic, or a list of two elements.".

This is new; when I used this exact same code last weekend, I did not have this problem, and was able to get the grid lines to show. Since I don't really need the grid lines, but rather, the spacing in my ListLogLogPlot to show, I tried using Ticks, and the plot was created without errors, but no ticks showed up. Clearly something is wrong since a ListLogLogPlot should show ticks by default.

I've attached two screenshots, one with the GridLines error, and one when it accepts GridLines->None. I did quit the kernel and restart Mathematica to see if that helped, but it didn't. I tried to Google this, and having come up empty-handed, I decided to post here. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening, or how to fix it? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Update: Here's something really strange; I opened up my notebook in Mathematica 11.2, and the plots work fine, GridLines works, and I have a useful plot! It looks like it's only 11.3 that has a problem, and the problem is new. Perhaps I should reinstall it?

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Sophia Nasr
15 Replies

Has anyone found a solution to this? This exact problem recently appeared for me as well. Even the very simple code below now throws an error on Mathematica 11.3

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Jonathan Tallant

on windows 10 with Mathematica 11.3 It seems to run fine with the same options you are using. Perhaps you could attach a notebook?

ListLogLogPlot[{Table[{n Log[n], Prime[n]}, {n, 1, 20}], 
  Table[{n Log[n + 1], Prime[n]}, {n, 20}]}, Joined -> True, 
 Filling -> {1 -> {2}}, PlotStyle -> Blue, Frame -> True, 
 FrameLabel -> {"x", "y"}, GridLines -> Automatic, 
 PlotLabel -> "TEST", ImageSize -> Large]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Posted 6 years ago

Update: Here's something really strange; I opened my notebook in Mathematica 11.2 and the plots work fine! It's only 11.3 that has a problem, and the problem is new, so maybe there's something wrong with the installation? Perhaps I should reinstall it?

Hi Sofia. Can you check the date of the last Windows update? It's possible that this problem occurs from the last Windows update.

Posted 6 years ago

Hi Alexander, there was an update that was pretty recent. Why would a Windows update cause Mathematica to do strange things though?

Perhaps you could post the code (or a part) that other people can use to see if they can find a solution/workaround?

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Posted 6 years ago

I could, but you'll need to create mock data, since my code is working with chains from MCMCs. Would that be useful? Also, I think I should update my OP rather than posting a reply as I did: I ran the same code in Mathematica 11.2 and it ran just fine, so it looks like the problem resides with 11.3, although this wasn't the case last week. So I was thinking I should possibly reinstall 11.3?

I had a similar problem on all versions of Mathematica with Windows update. Some programs from the block of graphics and visualization looks like corrupt after updating Windows. The reinstallation of Mathematica does not help.

If you remove command: GridLines -> Automatic from ListLogLogPlot Plot is ok?

POSTED BY: Mariusz Iwaniuk
Posted 6 years ago

Hi Mariusz, when I remove GridLines altogether, the plot is created without errors, however the spacing on the axes don't show, and a plot doesn't mean anything if I don't know what value it corresponds to. This is also new, this didn't happen before.

Probably data input to ListLogLogPlot is incorrect.

Posted 6 years ago

This is the same data input I used when it was working though, so I think it has to be something else.

In my opinion the problem is Windows update on Windows 10.

I using now Windows 8.1(and I'm not going to install Windows 10 never) and my Windows update it's off. My Mathematica works fine and for 3 years I did not have problems like you.

Regards,MI

Please report the Mathematica version from $Version.

Posted 6 years ago

Hi Alexander, I'm using 11.3. From $Version: "11.3.0 for Microsoft Windows (64-bit) (March 7, 2018)"

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract