Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Redirect temporary files to an external disk?

Posted 5 months ago
|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
|

Many times Mathematica aborts because there is no more space available on disk. Presumably this is due to the temporary files that it creates and needs for its calculations. If I were to install a large disk on my Macintosh for all the space required by Mathematica, how can I tell it to address all its temporary files and swapping to that extra disk?

I do not wish to reinstall Mathematica on an external disk. I wish to maintain the rest of Mathematica's files in my current disk, and send only the temporary files to a secondary disk.

3 Replies

Mathematica uses the Temp directory that is installed in the system. To find out the path to this directory, ask in Mathematica

$TemporaryDirectory

To change this path, you need to change the path of the system temp directory. For a Windows user this is very simple. See Control Panel\System and Security\System -> Advanced system settings->Environment Variables->Edit TEMP, Edit TMP After all the changes we have:

In[1]:= $TemporaryDirectory

Out[1]= "D:\\Temp"

This would redirect temporary files from all software to that directory. Is there a way to redirect only Mathematica's temporary files?

SetEnvironment[{"TEMP" -> "D:\\Temp", "TMP" -> "D:\\Temp"}]
 In[]:= GetEnvironment[{"TEMP", "TMP"}]

Out[]= {"TEMP" -> "D:\\Temp", "TMP" -> "D:\\Temp"}
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract