Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Prove a formula for a known convergent series with Resolve?

Posted 6 years ago

I ran across this behaviour that I do not understand. I wanted to prove a formula for a known convergent series:

$\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{(2k+1)(2q-2k-1)} = -\frac{\pi^2}{4} \delta_{q,0}\quad$ for $\quad q\in\mathbb{Z}$.

However, Mathematica says this is wrong:

Resolve[ForAll[q, Sum[1/((2  k + 1) (2  q - 2  k - 1)) == -(\[Pi]^2/4)  KroneckerDelta[q, 0], {k,-Infinity,Infinity}], Integers]

returns False. Moreover, if the values for $q$ are restricted, i.e. if I look separately at the cases $q=0$ and $q\neq 0$, I get a True result: The two commands

Resolve[ForAll[q, q == 0, Sum[1/((2  k + 1) (2  q - 2  k - 1)) == -(\[Pi]^2/4)  KroneckerDelta[q, 0], {k,-Infinity,Infinity}], Integers]

Resolve[ForAll[q, q != 0, Sum[1/((2  k + 1) (2  q - 2  k - 1)) == -(\[Pi]^2/4)  KroneckerDelta[q, 0], {k,-Infinity,Infinity}], Integers]

both evaluate to True. Logically, this is a contradiction, so my question is whether I misunderstood the function of these commands or this is a bug. Thanks in advance for clarification! (Using Mathematica 10.0)

Attachments:
2 Replies

Hi Julian,

I guess the problem is that for the sum first the general case is evaluated, and this gives:

Sum[1/((2 k + 1) (2 q - 2 k - 1)), {k, -Infinity, Infinity}]
(*  Out:    -((\[Pi] Tan[\[Pi] q])/(4 q))   *)

So your first line reads:

Resolve[ForAll[q, -((\[Pi] Tan[\[Pi] q])/(4 q)) == -(\[Pi]^2/4) KroneckerDelta[q, 0]], Integers]

and this evaluates to False, because in the case $q=0$ we have:

(-((\[Pi] Tan[\[Pi] q])/(4 q)) == -(\[Pi]^2/4)) /. q -> 0
(*  Out:    Indeterminate\[Equal]-(\[Pi]^2/4)   *)

In this case you need the limit:

Limit[-((\[Pi] Tan[\[Pi] q])/(4 q)), q -> 0]

If you restrict the value of $q$ before the sum gets evaluated (you second option above) everything works.

Hope that helps, regards -- Henrik

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner

Thanks for the insight!

This explains the result, but I am somewhat disappointed that the general case yields

-((\[Pi] Tan[\[Pi] q])/(4 q))

and not the continuous continuation of this expression.

Best regards, Julian

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract