Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

OSX 10.13.5, Mathematica 11.3 does not creates BenchmarkReports?

Posted 6 years ago

Hi, Earlier I upgraded to Mathematica 11.3. Yesterday I upgraded the os to OS X 10.13.5. When I try to run Benchmark.nb the BenchmarkReport[] never finishes. Same result after a fresh reboot of the machine and running only Mathematica. Any good idea why? Thanks ahead, János P.S. I am afraid to try my own programs.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Janos Lobb
6 Replies
Posted 6 years ago

You were right. Somehow, during the OS X 10.13.5 update, things did go wrong. To fix it I installed the OS X 10.13.5 combo, then I trashed Mathematica, and reinstalled it from the dmg. Now Benchmark.nb is running. Thanks a lot.

Looks like your installation got hosed, for some reason. Not too hard to re-install. I found it is no problem to move the Mathematica folder from inside the ~/Library folder, then put back any custom stuff you might have. You can even restore the Licensing folder from within ~/Library/Mathematica so you don't need to re-activate. It sounds like more work than it is. I usually keep the old Mathematica folder around for a while in case I missed something such as stylesheets or packages.

I have had to do this a couple times for various reasons, and you will get back the program in a known state.

In older versions of macOS, there was a similar Mathematica folder inside /Library. This would let any user use the files to run Mathematica. With some OS update, developers (including trusted ones like Wolfram and even Apple) were not permitted to put anything in the root library, so only the user library is active. There is an outside chance that your installation might be trying to use an old Mathematica folder in the root library. No harm in looking to make sure that there is no Mathematica folder in /Library.

Just replacing the app by itself usually doesn't work. If you don't have any custom style-sheets or packages (or similar things), it may be just as well to let Mathematica rebuild the folder and contents when you restart with a new copy of the program. You will need to activate the program from your user portal.

There are pages on the Wolfram site that covers deleting the Mathematica folder. It essentially tells you the same thing, except that it thinks that there are still two locations where the Mathematica folder is. It also refers to two new folders in the user library: Wolfram and Caches/Wolfram. These are new since I last had to rebuild. On my system, there is no Wolfram file in the Caches folder, so either this is not really used, or I never did anything to force the folder to be created. There is a folder named Wolfram in ~/Library. It hasn't been updated since February, so I am not sure what it does. I'll have to remember to teach this when I need to return to a default state. There is also a Wolfram Research folder, but it seems to be involved with the download manager, and in my system, it only has information about versions 11.1 and 11.2. These could be related to a beta test I was involved in, especially since there is no reference to 11.3, where the download manager finally escaped beta on macOS.

How to reset Mathematica to a default set-up

good luck.

Posted 6 years ago

The other "funny" thing is that when I pull from the menu "Parallel Kernel Configuration", it shows the master kernel with name "None". When I change it to "Local", it jumps back to "none" immediately and falls into an endless loop, by flipping between "Reformatting Notebook" and "Kernel is not responding to dynamic evaluation. You may either choose to abort and restart the kernel or continue waiting. Dynamic updating can be re-enabled using the Dynamic Updating Enabled command in the Evaluation menu." <Abort> <Continue Waiting>

enter image description here

enter image description here

Sorry to hear about your problem. I tested the benchmark on my other computer, a 15 inch MacBook Pro (2016), also running Mathematica 11.3 and 10.3.5, with no issues at all.

When I first saw this, I thought that you had installed the macOS 10.4 beta. I installed this on another computer, but I don't have a third license for Mathematica, so I haven't checked it out yet.

Posted 6 years ago

Interesting. On my mid 2012 MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz Intel Core 7 16GB memory the BanchmarkReport[] function just run forever and Activity Monitor show 0.5% CPU usage. enter image description here

On my computer (a 2017 iMac with a 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GBytes RAM), I get a benchmark result of 2.31.

I'm running 10.13.5.

I have had no issues with Mathematica after the High Sierra update.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract