GROUPS:

Displaying Databin as a Dataset table in a FormFunction Cloud Deployment

Posted 2 months ago
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

I am trying to set up a cloud deployed FormFunction where a user can enter a public databin ID and then view the contents formatted as a dataset. I keep running into issues where the output of the form returns straight text rather than the table I am looking for.

CloudDeploy[
 FormFunction[{"Databin ID:" -> <|
     "Help" -> "Enter the ID of a public Databin", 
     "Interpreter" -> "String"|>, }, 
  Dataset[Databin[#"Databin ID:"]] &], Permissions -> "Public"]

And here is a snippet of what I am getting in return when I try to view the databin as a dataset:

Dataset[{<|"Name" -> "Ben", "Email" -> "fake@gmail.com","Timestamp" -> DateObject[{2018, 5, 18, 12, 26, 55.98299980163574}, "Instant", "Gregorian", -7.]|><|"Name" -> "bob", "Email" -> "anotherfake@gmail.com","Timestamp" ->  DateObject[{2018, 5, 18, 12, 30, 33.210999965667725}, "Instant", "Gregorian", -7.]|>.....

I can replace

Dataset[Databin[#"Databin ID:"]]&` 

with this

ExportForm[Dataset[Databin[#"Databin ID:"]], "PNG"] &

and it will display an image of what I am looking for, but any other formatting option ("HTML", "WL", etc.) either fails or returns the same string of text as before

Any idea what I am missing?

2 Replies
Posted 2 months ago

The more I look into this, the more I think it may be a bug instead of a coding issue. The reason being is that if I include the exact same code as above without using CloudDeploy in Mathematica, the result displays as expected with a Dataset table showing the databin contents. Furthermore, if I use the following code to simply CloudDeploy a Databin formatted as a Dataset, it also shows correctly.

CloudDeploy[Dataset[Databin["uI5TknW0"]]]

I just don't understand what would cause such a discrepancy with a CloudDeploy.

Posted 2 months ago

After much trial and error, and eventually guidance from a kind soul on StackExchange, I was finally able to troubleshoot the problem. The fix was to use ExportForm to deploy it as a CloudCDF. I initially avoided this option because I thought it would require a CDF player installation for users. Here is the final working code:

CloudDeploy[
 FormFunction[{"Databin ID:" -> <|
     "Help" -> "Enter the ID of a public Databin", 
     "Interpreter" -> "String"|>, }, 
  ExportForm[Dataset[Databin[#"Databin ID:"]],"CloudCDF"] &], Permissions -> "Public"]

Still not sure why that option has to be set, but it is great to now know the fix.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract