Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Where in the docs for the IFF keyboard shortcut?

Posted 2 months ago
|
6 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
|

When I'm thinking about math, and I need to type the if-and-only-if symbol, but esc-iff-esc doesn't work, and then I search the docs for 15 minutes, then Google, but still can't find the right key-sequence to type (what was I working on before this? can't remember offhand), where exactly in the docs should I be looking for information I need about which keys to press, please?

6 Replies

Joe,

All those symbols (and more) are found here - Mathematical and Other Notation. Then under "Operators" is the link for "Logical and Other Connectives" and you will find multiple versions of what you want such as [Congruent] (esc===esc) or [DoubleLeftRightArrow] which can be typed as esc<=>esc or the long version esc<==>esc.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Neil

Posted 2 months ago

Thanks very much. I have never seen that page before, despite having been using Mathematica for 15 months.

Joe,

I found that page by starting in the Documentation Center and typed "esc" figuring that most of the special characters use esc. The first link that came up was "Special Characters: Mathematical and Other Notation". This was an overview of many characters but it referenced the complete tutorial at the bottom.

Often I find the best information by starting with a related topic (as close as I can get) and scrolling to the bottom of the documentation page and clicking on the related tutorials, guides, and links -- the pages are usually well linked. I also think the related commands are usually well done.

Regards,

Neil

Posted 2 months ago

Thank you. The local version of the Document Center (not the internet version) does not give that result when I try "esc" (not that I was clever enough to try "esc" until you mentioned it)---at least not on the first page of results. I did end up finding a pathway to that information from the start-page after your 1st post, which is important so I can find my way back there when I forget the shortcut again.

That's odd. I am using a Mac. Is it different on a PC?

This is my search: Its the first result from the documentation.

enter image description here

Posted 2 months ago

Windows 10, Mathematica 11.1.0.0 here.

970 results compared with the 980 indicated in yours. "Entering Greek Letters (Tutorial)" is the top answer here.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract