Message Boards Message Boards

Make a working USB camera discoverable by Mathematica on macbook?

Posted 6 years ago

I'm trying to use Mathematica to automate capture and analysis of USB camera images attached to a microscope. I believe the camera to be correctly installed because 1) The camera successfully captures images using the microscope's own software on my macbook pro through the USB directly to the camera and 2) the System Information >> Hardware >> USB >> USB2.0 Camera shows the camera recognized by the macbook pro's system setup.

However, calls to FindDevices[] discover no camera but the iSight built-in camera. (I'm familiar with Mathematica's help files on this and related functions at http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/device/Camera.html).

Any advice to make it discoverable?

System Info: -- Mathematica 11 -- Computer: Macbook Pro -- OS 10.10.5 -- AmScope MU1400 USB Camera (connected to USB2.0 port on the macbook pro)

Thanks, All.

Stephen

POSTED BY: Stephen Guimond
2 Replies

Hi, Colin,

No, unfortunately I never succeeded in making it discoverable. It’s not clear to me why since if the camera is addressable by the manufacturer’s software via USB protocols I don’t see why I couldn’t from a programming language or Mathematica.

If you learn something I hope you’ll post it in response as I still want this capability but I’ve resorted to kludgy, manual workarounds instead.

Stephen

POSTED BY: Stephen Guimond
Posted 1 year ago

Hi Stephen

Did you ever solve your problem with the microscope camera. Im having the same problem and as a result Im looking for a suitable camera for our imaging system with Mathematica?

Colin

POSTED BY: Colin Grace
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract