|
5 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Type the following fraction with a Pi?

Posted 6 years ago

13/2 Numerator pi +5. Mathematica keeps me on the bottom of the denominator. I use esc[p] for Pi but I don't know how to move through the process.

Thanks in advance

POSTED BY: Leighton Cooper
5 Replies

After bringing up the palette, click on the square root symbol. A radical symbol with a square box appears on your notebook command line. Click on the square box within the Radical and enter 5. Move cursor to right of that symbol and left click again. Then add two forward slashes and an N. Execute command. I copied that operation out of my notebook to place in this message. When I paste results from the copy, rather than showing the square root Radical sign, Sqrt[5] is displayed. In the notebook a 5 is shown within the square root Radical sign.

In[1]:= Sqrt[5] // N

Out[1]= 2.23607
POSTED BY: Ed Forrester

I wanted to simplify my precision so I used the N[Squareeoot symbol from the math palette ,5]and it wouldn't work, but if I spell out Sqrt it works. Why is that?

Thanks I am working from a Mathcad tutorial program Study Works and trying to reproduce it in Mathematica.

One thing I noticed if I type into the search box Enter fractions, it never gives me the type fractions Help sheet! Somebody might want to add that. The other thing is I am trying to learn the shortcuts for the different mathematical apparatuses. Pi, Sqrt. I'll try the meun palette this time round.

Is this what you want?

Pi*13/2 +5
In[2]:= N[Pi*13/2 + 5]

Out[2]= 25.4204
POSTED BY: Ed Forrester

There is a tutorial on typing fractions: http://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/TypingFractions.html Also, have you tried the Basic Math Assistant palette?

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract