Posted 6 years ago

Consider the following code:

In[34]:= mathematicaDefinitionOfArcCoth[x_] := 
 1/2 (-Log[x - 1] + Log[x + 1])

In[35]:= zero[x_] := 
 ArcCoth[x] - mathematicaDefinitionOfArcCoth[x]

In[36]:= zero[-1/2] // N

Out[36]= 0. + 3.14159 I

The definition of mathematicaDefinitionOfArcCoth is taken from the docs, section "Background & Context".

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
6 Replies
Posted 6 years ago

I wasn't sure what you were trying to do. I couldn't find your definition for mathematicaDefinitionOfArcCoth at the link you posted. The definition that I used was under Properties and Relations:

TrigToExp[ArcCoth[z]]

Out = -(1/2) Log[1-1/z]+1/2 Log[1+1/z]

But, something appears to be wrong with ArcCoth[-1/2] when N is applied or when using inexact arguments. It stays unevaluated with exact arguments outside of the domain.You should submit a bug report.

POSTED BY: David G
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 6 years ago

mathematicaDefinitionOfArcCoth comes from ArcCoth, Properties & Relations, see the final sentence and then back up two sentences.

A music-software company gives me free products when I beta-test for them, so I have to give my bug-report-submitting time to the other company.

Your mathematicaDefinitionOfArcCoth has a branch cut discontinuity in the complex plane, and -1/2 lies precisely along the cut. You can expect the numerical algorithms to give inconsistent results. It woud be nice of Mathematica to issue a warning in such cases, though.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 6 years ago

You can expect the numerical algorithms to give inconsistent results.

Mathematica gives the same false result even if you omit the "N"; the issue here is not a matter of any numerical algorithm.

The issue is rather a lack of coordination and communication between the developer who implemented ArcCoth and the person who authored the "Background & Context" section in the docs. As far as I have found, a fix would require no change to the implementation of ArcCoth; a fix would require only a correction to the documentation. I foresee no fix ever happening, though, because the consensus among the community is that wrong is better when wrong is what Mr. Wolfram chooses.

Posted 6 years ago

Try:

FullSimplify[-ArcCoth[z] - 1/2 Log[1 - 1/z] + 1/2 Log[1 + 1/z]]

The result is 0.

POSTED BY: David G
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 6 years ago

Thank you. If "Back & Context" said what you said, there would be no issue. Instead, "Back & Context" shows a different expression, one unequal to ArcCoth. Along the discontinuity, the discrepancy makes all the difference in the world.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract