Group Abstract Group Abstract

Message Boards Message Boards

Creating a 3D mesh plot and exporting it to an STL file for 3D printing

GROUPS:
Hello all,

I've been trying to create a 3 D plot from my data. I have my X,Y, Z matrices, where Z = f(X,Y). I have my matrices in excel, which I've imported to Mathematica.
A little bit of background here - I've not used Mathematica before. But fairly comfortable with Matlab. I'm trying to use Mathematica because it lets me create plots where I can create 3D models with tubes as opposed to surfaces on Matlab.
My final goal is to create a 3D surface and export it as an STL file so that it can be printed using a 3D printer.

Here's an image of what I'm trying to make:

I'd appreciate it if someone can help me with this.
Thanks.
POSTED BY: Phalgun Lolur
Answer
11 months ago
Generally it is always a good idea to provide working code so that others have a starting point.

All this is very easy to do in Mathematica. No need to use Excel either, because I see that you build analytic surfaces that can be sampled in Mathematica too.

First I recommend reading Notes on 3D printing by Henry Segerman who did a lot of work on the subject and published a paper.

A rather quick summary for you about specifically your problem. Here is the code:
 f[u_, v_] := {u, v, u^2 - v^2};
 scale = 40;
 radius = 0.75;
 gridSteps = 10;
 curvesU = Table[scale*f[u, i], {i, -1, 1, 2/gridSteps}];
 curvesV = Table[scale*f[j, v], {j, -1, 1, 2/gridSteps}];
 tubesU = ParametricPlot3D[curvesU, {u, -1, 1},
    PlotStyle -> Tube[radius], PlotRange -> All];
 tubesV = ParametricPlot3D[curvesV, {v, -1, 1},
   PlotStyle -> Tube[radius], PlotRange -> All];
corners =
  Graphics3D[
   Table[Sphere[scale f[i, j], radius], {i, -1, 1, 2}, {j, -1, 1, 2}]];
output = Show[tubesU, tubesV, corners]

Export["MathematicaParametricSurface.stl", output]

Here is how the resulting STL file is viewed in an independent STL viewing program - for example MeshLab which is free:

And here is final 3D printed result you can find in Shapeways store:

Now sometimes you will wish to plot surfaces as they are, not as meshes. Here is a simple example.
model = RevolutionPlot3D[{Sin[t] + Sin[5 t]/10,
   Cos[t] + Cos[5 t]/10}, {t, 0, Pi},
  RegionFunction -> (Sin[5 (#4 + #5)] > 0 &), Mesh -> None,
  BoundaryStyle -> Black, PlotStyle -> Thickness[.1]]

Export["model.stl", model];
Import[%]

Now further very useful links:
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Answer
11 months ago
Dear Vitaliy,

I have already looked into the paper by Segermen, actually. He uses a parametric funtion to get his mesh. 

What I'm trying to do is generate a mesh plot from my data. I don't have a functional form to it. That is something I'm unable to do, which is also why I couldn't supply any code to this query. 

I would appreciate it if you can help me in this direction.

Thanks.
Answer
11 months ago
So the plot you provided is not built from your data? Also what kind of data you have? Did you try to visualize them in Mathematica? - we have a lot of functions for that - ListPlot3D and similar. Without more infirmation it is very hard to move ahead. 
Answer
11 months ago
That's correct. The plot I provided was in fact based of Segermen's code. I just used it as an example to show what I want to do with my data. I'm sorry about the confusion. I should have been more clear earlier.

I have matrices of X,Y and Z where Z=f(X,Y). I tried visualizing it in Mathematica. But I'm only able to do it as a solid surface. Not as a mesh plot.

So, what I'm trying to do is import my data into Mathematica and create a mesh plot of it and if possible create tubes around the each line so that it can be exported as an STL file and printed with a 3D printer.
Answer
10 months ago
Let's make up some data points in simple matrix form and plot them with ListPlot3D in such a way that only mesh is visible.
data = Table[i Sin[j^2 + i], {i, 0, Pi, .3}, {j, 0, Pi, .3}];
p = ListPlot3D[data, Mesh -> 7, PlotStyle -> None, InterpolationOrder -> 2]

The code below will extract info about mesh and replace it with printable 3D objects - spheres and cylinders.
 pts = p[[1, 1]]; (* gets all points of interpolation *)

rad = .1; (* radius of tubes and spheres *)
 fre = 5; (* sampling rate of interpolated points *)
 obj =
  Graphics3D[
   {
    (* tube will make cylinders in STL file *)
    p[[1]] /. Line[l_] :> {White, Tube[l[[1 ;; -1 ;; fre]], rad]},

(* sphere to close the breaks between the cylinders *)
   GraphicsComplex[pts, Sphere[Flatten[Cases[p, Line[l_] :> l[[1 ;; -1 ;; fre]], Infinity]] // Union, rad]]
   },
  BoxRatios -> Automatic];

Export["test.stl", obj]

Answer
10 months ago