Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Use InputField for defining a function to be applied to a list?

Posted 2 months ago
|
6 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
|

Suppose I have a simple list, Range[4]. I apply a function to the members of this list, e.g. f[x_] = 1/x. With the following code I am getting what I expected

In[125]:= f[x_] = 1/x;
Range[4];
Map[f, Range[4]]
Out[127]= {1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4}

But now I want to use an InputField for defining the function to be applied to the list Range[4]. I then use the following code:.

Panel[DynamicModule[{f = 1/x, f1}, 
Column[{InputField[Dynamic[f]], f1[x_] = Dynamic[f], 
Map[f1, Range[4]]}]]]

Here I started with the function f =1/x, but I can change it in the input field. With the above code I get a panel containing the input box, the definition of the new function f1 to be applied to the list Range[4], and the final result. I had expected this to be {1, 1/2, 1/3,1/4}., but I am getting {1/x,1/x,1/x,1/x}. What am I doing wrong?

6 Replies

Laurens, i would try to avoid Map[ ] and use Table[ ] instead. In the input field you can enter something like x*x or Sin[x] or 1/x, this works for example:

Column[{
  InputField[Dynamic[f], Expression]
  , Dynamic@Head[f]
  , Dynamic[f]
  , Dynamic@Table[f, {x, 4}]
  }]

Thank you Raspal for your quick answer. But I am afraid I have misled you by taking Range[4] as an example of an arbitrary list. By using this the use of Table works fine. But what about using an arbitrary list? For instance examplelist = {5,3,10,43,3,74,4}?

Column[{InputField[Dynamic[f], Expression], Dynamic@Head[f], 
  Dynamic[f], Dynamic@Table[f, {x, {5, 3, 10, 43, 3, 74, 4}}]}]

i am wondering myself why Map[ ] gives us trouble.

Laurens,

This does what you want:

ff = 1/x;
ff1[z_] := With[{x = z}, Evaluate[ff]]

Panel[DynamicModule[{}, 
  Column[{InputField[Dynamic[ff]], Dynamic[Map[ff1, Range[4]]]}]]]

Note that the key is to create a function that does not evaluate the right hand side until it is used. This feature is independent of Dynamic.

Regards,

Neil

Thank you very much, Raspi and Neil, for your suggestions. But now I am stuck with the further use of the resulting list. It turns out that I get for its length the value 1. Also Total, Max, and ListPlot don't give proper results. Here is the general setup of a bigger program in which I need the liitle unit that applies a function to a list::

DynamicModule[{list, newlist},
 ff = 1/x;
 ff1[z_] := With[{x = z}, Evaluate[ff]];
 list = {1, 5, 8, 4};
 Row[{Panel[
    Column[{Row[{TextCell["Function "], InputField[Dynamic[ff]],
        newlist = Dynamic[Map[ff1, list]];}],
      newlist,
      Length[newlist],
      Max[newlist]
      }]]}]]

In the bigger program the list of variables in the Dynamic mdoule will contain several dozens of variables. Everything works fine, but in some way I am not able to access the values of the arguments in newlist. You will see that newlist looks as it should be, but Length and Max give nonsense. Is there a special trick to access the values in newlist?

I am sorry Neil. I had forgotten a trick you once taught me. Instead of newlist I should use Map[ff1, list]] to calculate Length, etc. So the following code does what i wanted:

DynamicModule[{list, newlist},
 ff = 1/x;
 ff1[z_] := With[{x = z}, Evaluate[ff]];
 list = {1, 5, 8, 4};
 Row[{Panel[
    Column[{Row[{TextCell["Function "], InputField[Dynamic[ff]],
        newlist = Dynamic[Map[ff1, list]];}],
      newlist,
      Dynamic[Length[Map[ff1, list]]],
      Dynamic[Max[Map[ff1, list]]],
      Dynamic[Total[Map[ff1, list]]]
      }]]}]]

I am now going to build this in in my bigger program. It is a bit more awkward than I had hoped for, but I am pretty sure that I will succeed. Thanks again!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract