GROUPS:

Access to Roman Maeder's Package for Computational Science with Mathematica

Posted 1 month ago
|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
|

Dear community members, I just started reading Roman Maeder's book "Computer Science with Mathematica" and I'd like to do the computations along but unfortunately the page to download the CSM package is no longer available: http://www.mathconsult.ch/en/showroom/pubs/CSM

Does anybody know an alternative way to have access to the Mathematica package?

Many thanks in advance.

3 Replies

True, there is nothing to download from the publisher's webpage. Have you already tried to email the publisher or the author? Here are the public contact details:

mc-enquiries@mathconsult.ch (tel. +41 44 687 4051)

lecturers@cambridge.org (tel. +44 1223 358 331)

EDIT: i made a few phone calls and the information is that the original code/packages are not fully compatible with the latest Mathematica versions which is why the author prefers to not see the material being posted/shared/distributed publicly anymore. However, if you were to send an email to the above .ch address, he would be happy to share the material (via email attachment) confidentially with you. You are allowed to use it privately but you'd have no permission to share it further. Best i could do, raspi

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually sent an email to both, the publisher and the author but I didn't get any reply. That's why I decided to post the message in the group.

I checked to see if I had the software on my hard drive -- I bought the book when it was new. Unfortunately, I no longer have it.

I looked at the book. It was written for version 4, so there is quite a bit that is obsolete. Someone who is experienced with Mathematica could figure out what the good bits are, but a beginner might find it hard going. Surprisingly, some of Roman's earlier books fare better, because he concentrates on basic programming in them, and that part has changed relatively little from version 1, certainly 2.2.

Some years ago, I tried to update a Mathematica book that I liked, but which was obsolete. There was so much to change, that what I ended up with was an entirely different book, which is not what I was after.

My suggestion is that you try reading the book for the ideas, and then try implementing them in current Wolfram Language syntax. The code in the book may point in the right direction in many cases, but there are quite a few things that will just bite you if you try to implement them as written.

I am beginning to think that Knuth was right (as usual): put all the actual code in a generic pseudo-code and force the reader to figure out the implementation. Not much good if you just want quick answers, but more edifying in the long run. You could treat the code in the book as a kind of pseudo-code that resembles Wolfram Language.

good luck.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract