Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Persist a module variable value between two calls to a function?

Posted 6 years ago

Hi I have just started using Mathematica, I am trying to plot a bar graph with two data sets, resulting graph has two bar graphs with one appearing on top of the other.

We have a custom Mathematica package to do this job. which has a function, with a module variable say (x) this function gets called twice for the two data sets, and each time (x) is getting set to a different value by some calculation in this function. is it possible to retain the value of (x) which gets set first time until it gets set to a different value second time

say in first time call x =1, I would like to some how persist this value of x when I call this function second time, so I can use it then

I have been going through Mathematica Language documentation online, and came to know about PERSISTVALUE, which I understand is like a session variable, is this something I can use,

I did try to use PERSISTVALUE in our Mathematica code but I am unable to get it working,

when I first set PersistValue['myvar'] = 1, and then try to read it back in the same call it doesn't show the value, with this problem I cannot even expect it to be retained until the next call.

Firstly can you let me know if I can use PersistValue for retaining variable values between calls to a function.

If not then is there any other way I can do this.

Thanks for your help in advance Nalina

POSTED BY: Nalina Vemparala
4 Replies

Hi Nalina,

I am not sure whether I am understanding you question correctly. Maybe this is what you need:

Module[{oldArg = 0},
 f[x_] := With[{xx = oldArg}, oldArg = x; {xx, x}]
 ]

Whenever you call f[x] it "knows" its former argument. This variable (oldArg) itself cannot be seen from outside, but from the functions (f[]) point of view it is global. This is a nice trick I learnt from @Leonid Shifrin (if I remember correctly).

Regards -- Henrik

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner

Hi Henrik Thanks, I will try this out. That is what I want, I want to remember the oldArg between two function calls, supposing in first function call, we set oldArg =2, in the second function call I want to remember oldArg=2.

Thanks a lot Nalina

I'm not at all sure what your goal is but as you are new to Mathematica I'm going to make some assumptions and offer the following. Make a function

f[x_] := x

So when the variable x = 1:

f[1]

and when the variable x = 2:

f[2]

Notice the function f is still f, not 1 or 2, and the Global definition of f is...

?f

Global`f

f

If you want to persist a unique result of f you should set it to a unique variable name.

f1 = f[1]
f2 = f[2]

1 and 2

these persist, unless you later change them, or Quit the kernel.

Hi Mitch Thanks a lot for taking time to reply to my query.

I will try your suggestion,

Thanks Nalina

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract