Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Set up a ColorFunction on the following DensityPlot?

Hi,

I have a function, say f[x,y] that can return only 3 values: +1, 0, and -1 (it is similar to Sign, but comes from stability analysis of a control system with 2 state variables) I would like to use DensityPlot so that +1, 0 and -1 map to red, white and blue, respectively, over a specified (x,y) plot region Question: how do I set ColorFunction to achieve that mapping? The plot statement is simply

DensityPlot [f[x,y],{x,min,max},{y,min,max}, PlotPoints->50, ... ]  

where ... are additional options.

POSTED BY: Carlos Felippa
5 Replies

Carlos,

That is what is happening in my posted example. Look at the ColorFunction Documentation under details. It shows. a list of what is sent to the color function for each plotting command. For DensityPlot it sends "f", the function value, which in your case is "f[x,y]".

To use it, you make a function that takes that argument (in this case f[x,y]) and returns a color based on that value. Since DensityPlot does not send the x and y values to the color function and only f[x,y] you can only reference the function value as the sole argument of the color function. In my example, I probably confused you by calling that argument "x". The "x" in the color function is NOT the x coordinate, but rather "f[x,y]". I should have posted this as my colorfunction to make it easier to understand.

colorfun[funValue_] := Which[funValue == 1, Red, funValue == 0, White, funValue == -1, Blue]

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Can the ColorFunction point to the function being plotted, as in ColorFunction->Which[ f[x,y] == 1, Red, f[x,y] == 0, White, f[x,y] == -1, Blue]

Also, you can change the Hue of the colors to what you want by replacing the named colors with RGBColor[] instead.

Carlos,

I made up a function (since you did not post one)

ff[x_, y_] := Piecewise[{{1, 10 < x}, {0, 10 > x > 5}, {-1, x < 5}}]

Now do a color function that takes a value and determines the color.

colorfun[x_] := Which[x == 1, Red, x == 0, White, x == -1, Blue]

and your density plot

DensityPlot[ff[x, y], {x, 0, 15}, {y, 0, 15}, 
 ColorFunction -> colorfun, ColorFunctionScaling -> False]

will plot something which looks like the French Flag.

Note you MUST use ColorFunctionScaling->False so the color function is not rescaled -- you want the colors you specified exactly.

Regards,

Neil

Thanks, your ColorFunction works fine. I did not show the actual f[x,y] as that is a long code, about 500 lines of dynamic programming.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract