|
9 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Hello Raspberry Pi Team

Posted 11 years ago
I am looking forward to share my thoughts and ideas via this portal. I hope everyone has a raspberry pi by now. I am currenty using Rasp Pi in my science learning environment to teach kids program and learn the art of hacking. This is a great community! I hope it will be full of space people like ourselves.
POSTED BY: Johnny Ronelus
9 Replies

And over here in Britain, we have the BBC getting involved in similar work to what can be done with the Pi, by giving out its micro:bit to school kids across the land. As you can see in this BBC News Video, which happens to feature Conrad Wolfram! Anyway, here's to more coding in schools!

POSTED BY: Richard Asher
Posted 10 years ago

I was introduced to Mathematica (version 2?) by a professor of mine when I was undergrad in Zimbabwe. It was on a NeXT machine (the only such machine I ever saw). I have been using Mathematica ever since then. I'm playing with it on the Raspberry Pi and i think its fantastic that such a tool could be available for so cheaply, especially for people in developing countries.

In the near future I would like to send a bunch of raspberry pies (sp?) back to Zimbabwe with Mathematica installed but I have one huge request. The Mathematica on the Pi does not have documentation included. Internet access in Zimbabwe is sporadic and expensive, so I would like students to have local access to the help system. Is Wolfram working on a way to make the documentation downloadable? I do not expect to have sd card space limitations.

POSTED BY: Tawanda Gwena

Tawanda,

If you have a copy of a regular Mathematica (9 or 10) for the desktop (Windows or Mac or Linux), you can simply zip the "Documentation" folder and include that on your SD card. (You might even be able to copy it directly under /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/10.0 and have F1 searching work (I haven't tried this myself yet)). The reason for not including this, is the enormous size (1.57GB at the moment, which is too large to distribute with Raspbian).

Good luck on your project!

POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
Posted 9 years ago

Hi Arnoud,

I did copy the documentation to the Raspberry Pi. The problem is that I saw no way to access the documentation. All the help function in Mathematica took me to the online documentation. Would there be a way to fix the issue, or I have to wait for an update from you.

POSTED BY: Tawanda Gwena
Johnny - welcome to the Wolfram Community! If you have any stories to tell about educating kids with with small but powerful Pi's - please share. If you try out Wolfram Language on Raspberry Pi, let us know what you think.
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Hello Vitaliy,

I read your profile and  check out your webpage. It's very impressive! In regards to your inquiry about educating kids with learning technology, check out the link below. I will be presenting my research study at MIT next week Wednesday in honor of Seymour Papert.:
http://smallsolutionsbigideas.wordpress.com/december-4th-event-featured-speakers/
I will be one of the keynote speakers. I will keep you posted in regards to this new effort to integrate Wolfram language on the Rasp Pi.
Frank - this is great! Please do post about things you discover with your little Pi!
POSTED BY: Moderation Team
I just got a Raspberry Pi and put Mathematica on it.  I was impressed by how well Mathematica runs on a couple square inch computer.
POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Hello Frank,
I will get Mathematica running on the Pi today. I will share my experience with the community. Ideally, I want to get my students engage in using these great programs.
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract