|
6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to globally modify styles?

Posted 11 years ago
In former versions of Mathematica, it was always possible to edit the default styles in default.nb in order to change a certain style property for all new notebooks. Apparently, this is no longer possible because default.nb is not saveable and editable. So whats the new method to change style properties for all newly created notebooks? Sorry but I didn't find it out in reading the helpfiles...
POSTED BY: Ulrich Utiger
6 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

I found it out myself... In case someone is interested:

1) install your stylesheet (see above) 2) Format/Edit Stylesheet 3) Click on your Stylesheet notebook file 4) Option Inspector/Notebook Options/File Options 5) Set Saveable on True

Now you can save your stylesheet notebook with File/Save after modifying styles. Remains the question why this is not the default setting...

Posted 10 years ago

Hey, I am back. I hoped that with version 10 of Mathematica managing styles would became a bit easier. However, it seems that it's still the same problem: I still don't know how I can directly save a changed style within a stylesheet without passing by "save as" and then reinstalling it. I change styles all the time so this is really a time consuming method. What is the reason I cannot simply save my personal stylesheet using File/Save? Is it not saveable because it inherits it from default.nb? Or is it just a bug? How can I make it saveable?

Posted 11 years ago
Thanks David, I guess this works too. However, another problem is that, if you want to change another style in your personalised stylesheet, you need to save it again under another name. It is not possible to save the same file. For instance, if you want to modify a style in DefaultPerso.nb by going to Format / Edit Stylesheet and click on DefaultPerso.nb you can modify a style but you cannot save it because File / Save is greyed out. You can only save it under another name. So the modification is useless. It is only active during the actual session. It is lost when you close Mathematica and reopen it. This is really a nightmare. I like Mathematica a lot. It's the best for symbolic calculus. But the frontend comes from another age.
Another issue is the grouping of cells which would be very useful for notebooks with a lot of content. The problem here is if you insert a new cell within a group, it is broken up and you need to regroup it again. Also, if you want to move a group by cutting and pasting it elsewhere in the notebook it will be merged into the previous group, which is mostly not what one wants to do...
Copy the contents of the stylesheet and create a new one with the original sheet's styles pasted into it.  Then install that one. By the way, if you do share a notebook with someone else then they will not have that modified stylesheet available and their system will default to the default.nb on their system.
POSTED BY: David Reiss
Posted 11 years ago
Thank you, Bruce, this works. I tried a similar approach: I opened Default.nb, saved it as DefaultPerso.nb and installed it as the stylesheet. But this doesnt work because it inherits the property "editable->false"... Wolfram should definitely make the use of stylesheets easier.
In recent versions, one makes a local style sheet with just the changes.  If you want it available for all notebooks,
save it as a stylesheet notebook.  It can be made the new default through the Options Inspector.

See  http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/WorkingWithStylesheets.html
Long but fairly complete.  It does not show the steps for installing the style sheet you've edited.

When the stylesheet is ready, click the Install Stylesheet button in the Style definitions window.
This will open a dialog,

Once saved/installed, it can be made the default style sheet in the Options Inspector.
POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract