Message Boards Message Boards

Blog feedback - Spellbound Valentines: DIY Art from 3D Printed Sound

Posted 11 years ago
Some of you may know we just have published a new blog article:

Spellbound Valentines: DIY Art from 3D Printed Sound

and I hope you have enjoyed reading it. Blog is a guide to a method of 3D printing sound using Wolfram Language. 

It was very nice of Michael Hale to sent me some feedback - thank you! He used the article’s code on two spoken names - Darli and Anne-Sophie – and imported resulting 3D objects into software called Blender (in PLY format). After some work he got beautiful renderings, which I thought would be great to share with others:

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
5 Replies
Nice work Vitaliy! I wonder, do you have any understanding of which types of Mathematica 3D graphics can be exported to STL and which can't? I've had more success with ParametricPlot than with Graphics3D (example)- are there any guidelines as to what can and can't be exported? I thought that all 3D graphics were made of Graphics3D primitives...
POSTED BY: C ormullion
Posted 10 years ago
One for a bartender friend named Lisa, who wanted a thinner shape with more of the ridges from the initial waveform.

POSTED BY: Michael Hale

Hey Michael, does yours also say "I love you"? and if so, do you have a link where I can get one for my wife?

POSTED BY: Peter Barendse
Posted 9 years ago

Hi, Peter! I haven't tried actually printing these designs, but I just made a preview image for you for what an "I love you" design might look like. I'll post the notebook tomorrow so you can play with the export settings and maybe send it off to Shapeways to get printed. If you do, please share the final results with us.

enter image description here

Posted 9 years ago

Here's the notebook for the design I posted last night (aslo attached to this post). You can see I only made very slight modifications to Vitaliy's code. I added the loop at the end in Blender. Here is a link to some earring designs that have been submitted to Shapeways. I think the level of detail in my designs is basically doable with current 3D printers.

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract