|
10 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Unable to retrieve indices from Wolfram data servers

Posted 10 years ago
I am running this code within the wolfram engine via command line: WeatherData["Chicago", "Temperature"]

and this is my output:

In[1]:= WeatherData["Chicago", "Temperature"]                                   Installing data from Wolfram Research data server ....Initializing WeatherData indices ....Initializing WeatherData indices ....Installing data from Wolfram Research data server ....Initializing CityData indices ....

Can someone explain to me why this function never returns an output from the servers and instead timesout eventually?
POSTED BY: Derek Barrera
10 Replies

This post solutions are relevant: How to get FinancialData[] Exchange Rates ?

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
There's multiple, conflated issues here.

1. The first issue is about the capabilties of the Raspberry Pi version. This is an issue for example if you want to use WeatherData with the Raspberry Pi. WeatherData Expressions such as:

WeatherData["Chicago", "Temperature"]

should work for you on a desktop version of Mathematica, but may not work on the raspberry Pi version. Contact Wolfram Technical Support if WeatherData doesn't work for you on the desktop version. 

2. Certain FinancialData queries do not work, such as FinancialData["^DJI", "Members"].  

This is the result of Yahoo Finance's API no longer being able to serve the information. There are many things about the ^DJI ticker symbol that Yahoo Finance can no longer serve. See this response for more information. (http://developer.yahoo.com/forum/General-Discussion-at-YDN/Dow-Jones-Average-Error/1283975525000-e462d312-827e-3316-900e-c85f668f587d)  
POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Dear Sean,

thanks. That was helpful! That means that 
data = FinancialData[#, "Price", {{2000}, {2010}, "Day"}] & /@ {"AA", "AXP", "BA", "BAC", "CAT", "CSCO", "CVX", "DD",
   "DIS", "GE", "HD", "HPQ", "IBM", "INTC", "JNJ", "JPM", "KO", "MCD",
    "MMM", "MRK", "MSFT", "PFE", "PG", "T", "TRV", "UNH", "UTX", "VZ",
    "WMT", "XOM"}
still works, which it does! Problem solved.

M
POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
The simple answer is that the Raspberry Pi build is currently *allowed* to run more functionality than it will succeed at completing. Under ideal networking conditions, some of the curated data calls will succeed. They're more likely to succeed if they're run a second time after the first failure. They're far more likely to succeed on a Raspberry Pi model B than a model A because of the increased memory. They're also more likely to succeed if you follow the command with a semicolon (though it takes an absurdly long time): 
In[1]:= today = WeatherData["Chicago", "Temperature"];                        
 Installing data from Wolfram Research data server ....
 Initializing WeatherData indices ....
 Initializing WeatherData indices ....
 Initializing CityData indices ....
In[2]:= today                                                                  
Out[2]= -2.9 degrees Celsius
 The distribution is still an experimental pilot release and should not be viewed as a commercial-grade Mathematica product at this time. That said, we're doing some significant performance optimization and future versions should behave a lot more consistently with the main product. With problems like these, I recommend making WolframAlpha do your heavy lifting for you: 
In[10]:= today2 = WolframAlpha["current temperature in Chicago",{{"Result",1}, "QuantityData"}]   
Out[10]= 27 degrees Fahrenheit
POSTED BY: Alex Newman
Posted 10 years ago
Bruce,

Thanks for the resonpse! I'm in awe at what the language can accomplish. Can't wait to the future updates, and final product. 

- Derek
POSTED BY: Derek Barrera
Dear Alex et al,

I don't think that 
The simple answer is that the Raspberry Pi build is currently *allowed* to run more functionality than it will succeed at completing.
is the answer to the question why we cannot connect to the data servers. Neither the weather data nor the financial data works on OSX (or Linux or Windows). I am using it in a class full of students on all sorts of systems and none of us can access the servers. We can also not reach them from the Raspberry Pis. 

Apparently Bruce had the same problem on a Mac.

M.
I can't reproduce that problem on my end. I recommend you contact technical support if you're having problems accessing this functionality on a commercial version of Mathematica.
POSTED BY: Alex Newman
Dear Alex,

does 
FinancialData["^DJI", "Members"]
work on your computer (not Raspberry)?
That seems to be the same for other data bases as well:
FinancialData["^DJI", "Members"]
Does not work either. 
It isn't working from in-house with 9.0.1 on an iMac.  For right now, the simple explanation is
probably that the WeatherData database is down.  Sorry.

Help menu - Internet Connectivity, Test Internet Connectivity  works, so it isn't the whole redundant server setup.
POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract