|
5 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Pi in base e for arbitrary # of digits?

Posted 10 years ago
I'm trying to do the honorary "search for a signal in the digits of pi" bit for a presentation, which will have a bit of a plug for WolframAlpha if I get it working.  I basically need a dump of digits of pi in base e.  Ideally, I'd like to pick any digit position and save an arbitrary length of digits from that point.

"pi to base e to 1000000 digits" in WolframAlpha seems to break down and only parse part of the query.  Any suggestions?  

P.S. - I'd also like to do the same for the quantity sqrt(pi/2) as well as pi.

EDIT: I should also mention that I have Wolfram Alpha Pro.

Thanks!
POSTED BY: John Covey
5 Replies
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks for the help, but this is precisely why I bought server time with Wolfram Pro.  I'd be more than disappointed if it can't handle anymore cloud time than the free version.  I guess I was being naive that I could get a few megabytes of digit data without having to code it all from scratch.
Posted 10 years ago
No go, unfortunately.  It didn't parse the input correctly.  See below.

UPDATE:  RealDigits[Pi,E,50000]  is interpreted as "Zip 50000" as well.
Posted 10 years ago
I don't have W|A Pro, but the W|A website times out if I ask for 50000 digits. Both work if I ask for 5000 digits.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=RealDigits[Pi%2CE%2C5000]

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=RealDigits[Sqrt[Pi%2F2]%2CE%2C5000]

I didn't know you actually wanted 1000000 digits. I can send you the result from Mathematica, but if you are going to be doing lots of this type of thing, I recommend getting Mathematica Home Edition.
POSTED BY: Michael Hale
Posted 10 years ago
Well, a million digits isn't feasible, but you could maybe do 300,000 overnight.
Posted 10 years ago
RealDigits[Pi, E, 100]
The explicit Wolfram Language syntax is accepted by Wolfram Alpha for small computations.
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract