|
2 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Having trouble graphing a 3d graph with only x and y variables

Posted 10 years ago
I am trying to do a project for school, and have to get a 3d graph using wolfram alpha. The problem is, that the equation is x^2 + 4y^2 = 4. This is only giving me a 2d graph, when I need the 3d graph, even though i try to make it do a 3d graph. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
POSTED BY: Patrick Spriggs
2 Replies
Posted 10 years ago
An all too typical interaction with WolframAlpha, fumbling around trying to give it key words that I'm hoping might lead to some related result...

It interrupts with a little popup wanting to know if I just cannot wait to find out what the wingspan of a mosquito is.

With one well placed swat I exterminate that little interruption and continue my wandering

Finally I happen to stumble onto something that looks like it works

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=parametricplot3d%5B%7B2+Cos%5Bt%5D%2C+Sin%5Bt%5D%2C+z%7D%5D

Knowing lots of Mathematica syntax and functions may help you stumble onto results, but I suspect that was exactly the opposite of the designers intentions.

Or perhaps we were really just supposed to interested in Culicidae dimensions.

Your experience may vary
POSTED BY: Bill Simpson
Posted 10 years ago
Mathematica understands this, so perhaps Alpha does as well. Note that this is a cylindrcal surface of infinite extent in z, so we need to truncate it somwhere, or the plot won't fit in the observable universe.  ;-)
ContourPlot3D[x^2 + 4 y^2 == 4, {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3}, {z, -5, 5}]
POSTED BY: David Keith
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract